Respected Contributor

I know someone who got the same kind of call she tends to believe this nonsense. I tell her its a scam, but I get the feeling she's not convinced.

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

We get so many spam calls from people pretending to be from Amazon it's ridiculous.  I just keep blocking them. So annoying.

@LuvmyLab 

The ones I get are obviously recordings which makes it even more ridiculous! 

Respected Contributor
Yes, I receive so many calls from everywhere. I know my contacts and I always block them. Still annoying. 🙄
Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Today I got a phone call at 11:00 A.M. with a person pretending to be from Amazon saying someone tried to buy an iPhone for $1100 on my Amazon account but that Amazon locked the account. The recorded voice started to give me an option to press some number. I've had emails with this particular scam, but never a phone call. I hung up. 

I got a voicemail from someone who said they were from Amazon and that I should press 1 if I had not ordered $537 worth of airpods, which of course, I had not.  I was sure it was a scam so I didn't press 1, but the thing is that I had just been Google searching airpods a day or 2 before and did look at them on Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

I get these calls all the time & I don’t answer them ... sometimes they leave a message but, I delete it ... I get so many spam calls & they are so annoying 👎

Honored Contributor

Re: New scam to me.

[ Edited ]

This is why I never answer the landline anymore (close friends/family have cell phone number).  I also have turned off the ringer and answering machine, any unrecognizable numbers are blocked (including those that are "Police Officer" calls - you can google the number and confirm they are scams).  I only return calls on this phone if I recognize the person/business who called on the phone screen. Cell phone numbers do not come through unless it is on my contact list.  

The scam numbers have lessened  because no one is picking up and they can't even leave a message...so my number does not register as a "live" number. Just a sign of the times.  I'm proactive and at peace...spend very little time with this unfortunate reality.

Respected Contributor

Had e-mails telling me that someone purchased stuff using my account.  Kept the e-mails on my "Hold" file, just in case.  Never got charged.

Occasional Contributor

I've started to answer scam calls because I've come up with a fake persona to use to keep them going for a while.

The first time I put the plan into action I decided to use the county sheriff's office as the address. They started walking me through the scam getting all my info and we had gotten to where they wanted a credit card to pay for... something (never said what) or else I would be arrested because he was Federal Police! I was delaying them a bit. And then this happens:

Him - "... are you a deputy?"
Me - "No. Why would you ask this?"

Him - "_read address back to me_ Is sheriff's office"

Me - _drops fake voice I was using_ "Awww, I didn't know you would Google Maps my fake address."

Him - "You are deputy?!?"

Me - No. But if that's fake, don't you think everything else I've given you is fake?"

Him - "You can not give me fake information! I am Federal Police!"

Me - "Well... then come arrest me, because it was all fake."

And I hung up.

For the record... I have not been arrested.

Esteemed Contributor

Best not to answer any calls you do not recognize.....

If you do, they put you on a list as a live person and you will get even more calls.....

Respected Contributor
My internet/cable/phone company offers an option that forces callers to enter a number via the keypad in order to continue the call. Since scammers/robo callers don’t have keypads, they are stopped cold. The day after I signed up, I never got another scam phone call. It is very effective.