Honored Contributor

New scam to me.

[ Edited ]

Today I got a phone call at 11:00 A.M. with a person pretending to be from Amazon saying someone tried to buy an iPhone for $1100 on my Amazon account but that Amazon locked the account. The recorded voice started to give me an option to press some number. I've had emails with this particular scam, but never a phone call. I hung up. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I get the E-mail version of that all the time, but I never answer calls from unknown numbers.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D     I have been plagued for DAYS with "strange" phone numbers on the caller ID.    One of them said "U.S. Police Department".    Wow....a new government agency...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Email and Phone Scams have been going on for a very long time. Scammers are in the US - or out-of-the-country. Never press any number --- just hang up. Some phone Scams ask: "can u hear me?" --- if u say Yes --- they record that Yes - and then u would be responsible for any junk they're selling. Remember - Real Companies won't email or call u on the phone.

Today on the nextdoor site - many people have noticed an uptick of phone calls. It will just get worse - I let all my calls go on my answering machine. When scammers call, there's usually a 1 or 2-second delay --- obvious scam. Never respond to Recorded Messages either.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D I've had a few calls like this on our old landline. They get erased as soon as the message is left. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy DSeems like we pay for our phones to ignore the scammers.  It's shameful.  Then on top of that my cell company wants to charge me for some system they have of "catching some" of the calls.  Not falling for that either.

I do the best by not answering, blocking and so on.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I've gotten dozens of emails and calls.

Trusted Contributor

We get so many spam calls from people pretending to be from Amazon it's ridiculous.  I just keep blocking them. So annoying.

Respected Contributor

Scammers never quit trying to take your money. I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the caller. It's the world we live in now

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Today I got a phone call at 11:00 A.M. with a person pretending to be from Amazon saying someone tried to buy an iPhone for $1100 on my Amazon account but that Amazon locked the account. The recorded voice started to give me an option to press some number. I've had emails with this particular scam, but never a phone call. I hung up. 

everytime you answer it's info that your phone belongs to a live person who actually picks it up, get an answering machine, your life will be easier