Honored Contributor

I live in a rural area with many small towns.  A woman in a class I take was telling us this story about her neighbor.  She let some guy in to use her bahroom, a complete stranger.  Later that day she noticed some of her prescription medications were missing from the medine cabinet, painkillers, no doubt.  First of all, I can't imagine letting a stranger into my house, much less letting them use the bathroom.  And second, you shouldn't leave meds in the bathroom anyway because of the moisture.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New scam to be on guard for

I would never let a stranger into my home to use the bathroom. I’d direçt him to the nearest public toilets. I have pain meds in my house because I’m having knee replacement surgery next month and I’m currently hurting big-time. Still, I try not to take the meds unless I’m really suffering and I keep them well hidden. You never know when someone can strike up a conversation and elicit personal information..like upcoming surgery...that could lead to a theft.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn’t have even opened the door to a stranger - let alone allow him in my home 

Honored Contributor

That scam is not new.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Anyone who would let a complete stranger in their home for any reason man or woman is a complete IDIOT.  Not these days, no matter where you live. 

Honored Contributor

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I live in a rural area with many small towns.  A woman in a class I take was telling us this story about her neighbor.  She let some guy in to use her bahroom, a complete stranger.  Later that day she noticed some of her prescription medications were missing from the medine cabinet, painkillers, no doubt.  First of all, I can't imagine letting a stranger into my house, much less letting them use the bathroom.  And second, you shouldn't leave meds in the bathroom anyway because of the moisture.   

@depglass  Lots of us who live in the southwest or near southwest have NO problem with moisture in our bathrooms.  It has never been an issue for us. 

Honored Contributor

Good reminder, especially for those of us with elderly parents - they tend to be more trusting.  I don't know why.  I guess our society harbors more bad apples than it did back in their day.

Honored Contributor

That's crazy. I would not even answer my door to a stranger much less let them use my bathroom.

When we had 1 bathroom remodeled DH did most of the work but we hired out part of the removal of heavy tub. One of the crew was a female. She wanted to use the restroom while she was here. I told DH NO when he asked. No way is someone using my bathroom going through my bedroom where I have jewelry & other personal stuff. I had our bedroom door closed & locked while they were working. She kept leaving to go some place to use the bathroom. Ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

It doesn't have to be a stranger to take something from the medicine cabinet. It could easily be a workman who you have hired and he asks to use the bathroom. Then when you go to check for something, you realize it's gone. This has not happened to me but it has happened to my neighbor.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.