Trusted Contributor

Re: New scam to be on guard for

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't let a stranger off the street into my house to use the bathroom. When I have work done inside the house, I do allow the workers to use the bathroom, but ONLY the powder room, which is on the main floor The bathrooms upstairs are  off limits to anyone who doesn't live here.

Honored Contributor

I probably would let a worker use my bathroom but my house has a half bath on the main floor and 2 other bathrooms upstairs. My half bath just has a toilet and sink so getting into medications won't happen. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma   his relative?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any pain meds.  If my doctor ever prescribed them I never filled them.  I digress because of an editorial in my local paper.  In any case people don't get into my house if I don't know or invite them.  Old but not crazy LOL

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

If you are having guests...........just put a row of marbles on the bottom shelf of your medicine cabinet, and slam the door.   If one of the guests opens the medicine cabinet.......you will surely hear the marbles hit the sink, floor, etc.

@Desertdi

I've heard of people doing that ... it can be very humiliating for someone innocently hoping to find a bottle of aspirin.    

I recall reading about a test people were paid to take ... sort of like a focus group ..... and the tests were all unmarked.   The real subject was basic honesty, but  people were told it was about "human nature".   

The emphasis was on "please be honest, because we'll never know who said what".   Of course one of the questions was "have you ever been in someone's home and looked in their bathroom medicine cabinet?"   One hundred percent said yes.

I've only done it if I was an invited guest staying at someone's house......usually to help thru a "recuperation period" after surgery or an accident..........and these were RELATIVES.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma   his relative?

I doubt it, this was a high end well known store and neither of the delivery men looked high end to me...but one never knows.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Over years of having listed and sold residential real estate, I will never forget being asked by our company's relocation department to help an out-of-towner find a new home.  My market area consisted of many miles of different counties and my interview with the prospective buyer indicated he was wide open as to choices of where to live.

A house tour like that involves visiting many homes, and we spent a lot of time together on the road to see them.  He seemed fairly edgy and nervous, but after all, he was trying to find a new home and didn't know the area.

After a while, I began to wonder about his expressed need "to use the bathroom" at just about every home we visited. 

(By the way, if your home is shown while you are not there--and you shouldn't be present in most instances if you can help it--you have to expect that people might want to use your bathroom during their visit, even if you don't like that idea.)

Anyway, by the end of my contact with this guy, I pretty much concluded he was looking in medicine cabinets for  a little something to "take the edge off" of his nerves.  He did not buy a house from me, and our relocation department was annoyed at him wasting their time, too.

Esteemed Contributor

You can’t fix stupid and any woman who would let a completely unknown stranger whether male or female in their home to use the bathroom fits that category.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

That scam is not new.

That's for sure....probably been around as long as the rock. 

Respected Contributor

Btw, who opens their door to ANY stranger? I won't open the door for anyone other than people I recognize. I don't care if they're wearing a "worker" vest, a uniform, etc. Those are potentially a whole other type of scam. 

Just stay away from my property- that's all I ask.