Honored Contributor

New recalls. Pillsbury Flour and Ragu

[ Edited ]

“A third brand of flour manufactured by Buffalo, New York-based ADM Milling Co. has been recalled and is being tied to an ongoing E. coli outbreak.

Select bags of Pillsbury Best 5-pound Bread Flour, sold by Hometown Food Co., were recalled Friday due to the potential presence of E. coli, according to a notice on the Food and Drug Administration website.

Approximately 4,620 cases of the flour were distributed to a limited number of retailers and distributors in 10 states: Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

The affected bags of flour have the UPC code 051500200315 and a use-by date of June 8, 2020 or June 9, 2020, the recall notice states. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, consumers should not use the recalled flour.

Pillsbury Best 5 lb. Bread Flour was recalled Friday in relation to a recent E. coli outbreak.

Pillsbury Best 5 lb. Bread Flour was recalled Friday in relation to a recent E. coli outbreak. (Photo: Hometown Food Company)

According to the CDC, there have been 17 reported cases and three hospitalizations related to E. coli related to flour. No deaths have been reported and while the CDC updated its website to include the Pillsbury recall, the figures have not changed since May 24.

Hometown Food Co. said no illnesses associated with Pillsbury Best Bread Flour have been reported to date and the recall was issued "out of an abundance of caution" since "certain wheat used to make these two lots of Pillsbury Best 5 lb. Bread Flour has been linked to E. coli illnesses associated with other flour products produced at the ADM mill in Buffalo."

E. coli infections typically occur three to four days after consuming the bacteria, the CDC says. Severe stomach cramps, diarrhea (often bloody) and vomiting can result after five to seven days. In severe cases, patients may get hemolytic uremic syndrome, a type of kidney failure”

Aldis and King Arthur had recalls last week.

The CDC warns against eating raw dough. Any flour or raw eggs use to make raw dough or batter might be contaminated and even tasting a small amount of raw dough could make you sick.

Bags of the Pillsbury flour can be returned to retailers and Hometown Food. Co. says it is offering replacement coupons. Consumers can call 1-866-219-9333 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. CDT. 

Contributing: Brandon Holveck, The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal

ALL 3 recalled flours are associated with wheat found from the same mill. The E. coli  strain is O26. This strain produces a toxin called Shiga toxin.

• People usually get sick from Shiga toxin-producing E. coli (STEC) 2–8 days (average of 3–4 days) after swallowing the germ.
  • Some people with a STEC infection may get a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS).
  • E. coli infection is usually diagnosed by testing a stool sample.

RAGU information

Plastics may be contaminating the sauce.

Consumers who have purchased the recalled RAGU sauces with the outlined cap codes should call 800-328-7248 to receive a replacement.

The sauces effected by the recall include:

• RAGÚ® Chunky Tomato Garlic & Onion, 45 oz.

Cap code: JUN0620YU2
Best Use By Date: JUN0620YU2

• RAGÚ® Chunky Tomato Garlic & Onion, 66 oz.

Cap code: JUN0520YU2
Best Use by Date: JUN0520YU2

• RAGÚ® Chunky Tomato Garlic & Onion, 66 oz.

Cap code: JUN0620YU2
Best Use By Date: JUN0620YU2

• RAGÚ® Old World Style Traditional, 66 oz.

Cap code: JUN0420YU2
Best Use By Date: JUN0420YU2

• RAGÚ® Old World Style Meat, 66 oz.

Cap code: JUN0520YU2
Best Use By Date: JUN0520YU2

Trusted Contributor

Re: New recalls. Pillsbury Flour and Ragu

I'm thinking about where I live in PA, strawberry shortcake is being purchased now, I hope nobody will be making the shortcake out of this. Thank you for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the heads up @Mindy D . I was gonna make spaghetti sauce and will have to check my date on the ragu. Seems like there is a lot of recalls lately.

Honored Contributor

I'm starting to hesitate to eat anything I haven't had some time. . .

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D   I so appreciate when you and others post this recall information.  I just checked my Ragu and it is not on the list.  The flour I have on hand is White Lily so I'm safe on that front, too, but I do buy other brands from time to time when the stores have a good sale.

I always store flour and sugar and even pasta inside their original containers (or include the piece that has the code) and then put in my storage containers like Lock and Lock.  Doesn't look as pretty on the shelf but better to be safe when it comes to food.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Mindy D   I so appreciate when you and others post this recall information.  I just checked my Ragu and it is not on the list.  The flour I have on hand is White Lily so I'm safe on that front, too, but I do buy other brands from time to time when the stores have a good sale.

I always store flour and sugar and even pasta inside their original containers (or include the piece that has the code) and then put in my storage containers like Lock and Lock.  Doesn't look as pretty on the shelf but better to be safe when it comes to food.

@aroc3435 Cut the brand and lot number off the package and slide it down between the side of the container and some of the flour when you pour the flour in the container.  Or tape it on the bottom!  Then youll know but have it look better!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner    Duh!  What's wrong with my brain--that is a splendid suggestion which I will use going forward.  I do so like a pretty kitchen.  Many thanks for the tip!

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

I either store the way you described or I remove part of the packaging with identifying information on it and store with the flour. I also do this with many other pantry staples.

Respected Contributor

Thank you. I do use ragu once in a while.