Honored Contributor

Re: New law could block Robocall it once and for all

my cell phone is always turned off since it's just used for emergencies

Landline, is hooked up to call blocker.  I'm happy girl.

Respected Contributor

That would be beyond wonderful. 🤞 

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

We've been receiving more if those annoying calls lately.  Maybe the callers are afraid the law will be approved so they're getting as many done now as possible.  A call came through on my cell the other day, out of curiosity I picked it up.  It was a woman speaking in Chinese;  I do not speak or understand Chinese!  Couldn't tell if it was a recording or a live call.  

Yes!  I got my first Chinese robocall this week.  Lithuania has been very axious to speak with me as well.

However, many of the robos choose to reflect a local number. 

Do the math.
Valued Contributor

I've written to one of my Senators several times about both robocalls and spoofed number calls, and all he ever does is say that's been taken care of with the Do Not Call Registry. Not much help there. 

That registry is nothing more than a way for these scammers to look up your number and then verify that it's a working number. Once they do that, they call you until you block them yourself. That's the thing about people that break the law, they break as many of them as they want. It's only legitimate businesses that see your number and then don't use it.

My very first robocall was from Barbara Bush when her son was running for President and she asked (via recording, of course) that I vote for him. Politicians can still get through, I think unless that's been changed.

It's these spoofed number calls that are going to be rough to stop. So many have that app on their phones, and they just change whose number they use when you hang up on them. There never was a legal reason to be allowed to spoof. That app never should have been legal. Every time I answer one of those calls, I ask why aren't you in jail yet, and hang up. 

It's about time Congress get busy and do something. This has gone on much too long.

Esteemed Contributor

I cancelled my land line but still receive some on my cell phone.  I do not answer unless a company name I recognize or a friend/family name pops up.  If someone is actually trying to reach me they can leave a voice mail.  If no voice mail I block the number.  

Honored Contributor

I had three today..,I block them all but it doesn’t seem laminate the ...just new ones with new numbers.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yipee!  no kidding.  the last year has been out of control.  i get voice mails in Chinese, Japanese, Tagalog and I thought I deciphered Dutch one time.  i feel like prisoner in my own home, ON A PHONE I PAY FOR!! They spoof call all the time.  They use numbers that are one off from my medical group.  I miss so many calls because I dont answer.  Another thing that makes it hard is many medicaL people have numbers from another part of the state, because they have cell phone numbers from the main office of their company. my mom was in Hospice here in NoCal, her nurses, LVNs and some staff called with San Diego and Los Angeles area codes, and names I didnt recognise. because I am always on edge about answer because I am always afraid of scam calls

then there is the two calls in a row trick.  but that one I am on too! LOL!  you know those calls you dont answer and 30 seconds later from another name and number.  but it is the same person.  one time I went online to check the number out.  this one phone number had 43 rearranged numbers coming from the same place.  where do they get all this money

I have known for years that there are things the phone company could do to stop them.  but our phone companies would loose all that money from telemarketers, scammers robo calls ,etc.  th. Jerks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

money from computer generated calls, and cell and land line calls.ey make 

Esteemed Contributor

I heard that fines don’t matter to these people. They just consider it the cost of doing business. But maybe if they raise it so much some of them will stop. They need to find a way to flag these calls and stop them at the beginning. 

Valued Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

We've been receiving more if those annoying calls lately.  Maybe the callers are afraid the law will be approved so they're getting as many done now as possible.  A call came through on my cell the other day, out of curiosity I picked it up.  It was a woman speaking in Chinese;  I do not speak or understand Chinese!  Couldn't tell if it was a recording or a live call.  

@this is my nic I am getting tons of voicemails in Chinese lately! I don't know what that is about. I have no clue what they are talking about. The ones I've gotten sound automated to me.

Esteemed Contributor

For whatever reason Wednesday is my worst day for them. I can count on at least 7 or 8 that day. The other days only 2 or 3. And like everybody else they often look like they're from a local number as well as my own number.