Super Contributor

Re: New job - Standing & walking all day - Shoe/Sneaker recommendations please :)

My son and DIL are nurses both work a 12 hour shift 3-4 days each week. They both wear compression socks and very structured shoes and sneakers. They find changing their shoes each work day is a big help. It is an investment in your well being.

Honored Contributor

Re: New job - Standing & walking all day - Shoe/Sneaker recommendations please :)

@WeiRDgeRLI retired from a full career in teaching and have been in retail since 2010.  I wear Dansko booties in the winter with an orthotic because I have metarsal pain after standing for long periods.  The ball of my foot would be unbarebly sore.  I really like the molded foot bed if Dansko.  A lot of nurses wear the Dansko clogs.

You might also look at Foot Smart dot com.  They offer a wide range of solutions for every foot problem imaginable as well as shoes.

Honored Contributor

@Dominosmom wrote:

My son and DIL are nurses both work a 12 hour shift 3-4 days each week. They both wear compression socks and very structured shoes and sneakers. They find changing their shoes each work day is a big help. It is an investment in your well being.

@Dominosmom......agree with what your DS and DIL do.....changing their shoes each work day is excellent.  I did the same thing when I worked retail.  And now that I am retired and at home, I still do that.  Have several pairs of Skechers GoWalk that I switch around.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have feet issues - except I only wear very comfortable shoes. My favorites are Birkenstocks - Clogs and sandals. I also love Ryka's sneakers -- I purchased 6 pairs from Zappos. I purchased the 2 styles with the most favorable Reviews on Zappos. Like walking-on-air. Free shipping both ways - in case u need to return/exchange.

Respected Contributor

Your best bet is to go to a store that specializes in fitting "comfort" shoes.  Everyone's feet are different.  Many of the brands mentioned here I find terribly uncomfortable and wouldn't last 10 minutes on my feet.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

My Podiatrist recommended Powerstep Pinnacle (Amazon $25-$44) for my plantar fasciitis.  I recommend these inserts highly if you are on your feet all day!  They last a very long time.

Super Contributor

Once again I appreciate all of your help and suggestions and will continue my search for the perfect shoe/sneaker LOL!

Thank you so much!!    Enjoy the rest of your weekend  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Ryka

Bass

Sketcher --Go walk type   (Walmart has some. My feet feel good in them)

Honored Contributor

Naturalizer 

Bzees

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Vionics.  They were instrumental when I had plantar fasciitis and had to stand for long periods of time.  I wear them 24/7.  (BTW - along with foot exercises and this brand of shoe, I no longer have PF.)

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown