Respected Contributor

Re: New (for me) Eating Out Issue - Too Much Food!

wrote:

@Moonchilde, I have the solution for you. Eat what you want and then leave the rest. Don't feel guilty. Just pay and leave.

We enjoy leftovers from our own cooking, but neither of us has any desire to take restaurant food home. No guilt about not eating everything on our plate.

ITA. 

You should not feel bad about only eating what fills you. Don't let a restaraunts dictate how much you think you need to eat.

My appetite is very small these days. I can never eat a restaraunt portion of anything. I cut a sandwich or burger in half before I even start to eat. I seldom take home a leftover of this type of food.

I will take home leftover pasta. It lasts quite a long time in the car in the winter. In the summer, food is usually my last stop. 

I am just not freaked out by leaving food on my plate anymore. I do what is best for me.

Trusted Contributor

Having been diabetic most of my life, I tend to carry something small in my handbag like  a protein bar, bannana,  1 slice of bread with peanut butter  or a few crackers or the like to hold me over if I am gone longer than I expect like doctors appointments. I also like the idea of a cooler type item if you are going to a restaurant. Food is too expensive as it is. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I assume it’s aging.  I never ate large portions but I could eat an average dinner.  Now I find that very few things appeal to me.  Things I used to really like, I don’t anymore. I’m like a picky kid sometimes.

Funny you should say that, @Noel7.  Niece’s husband just said the same thing. BUT - I had my medical/dental issues which is why my stomach shrunk and my taste for sugar largely went south, and niece’s hubby was going through surgery, chemo and radiation at roughly part of the same time. That has to have been part of the cause of his loss of appetite/stomach shrinking.

But yes, we all start losing taste buds as we hit middle age. Sense of smell also figures in bigtime. People can be unaware when all this starts as it’s subtle. So they’re eating less and don’t know why.

I have almost no taste for sugar any more and that truly shocks me. I will buy something (cake for example, or a donut) and take three bites and think...ehhhh. That just blows me away.

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I used to say I’d never met a carb I didn’t like.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I assume it’s aging.  I never ate large portions but I could eat an average dinner.  Now I find that very few things appeal to me.  Things I used to really like, I don’t anymore. I’m like a picky kid sometimes.

Funny you should say that, @Noel7.  Niece’s husband just said the same thing. BUT - I had my medical/dental issues which is why my stomach shrunk and my taste for sugar largely went south, and niece’s hubby was going through surgery, chemo and radiation at roughly part of the same time. That has to have been part of the cause of his loss of appetite/stomach shrinking.

But yes, we all start losing taste buds as we hit middle age. Sense of smell also figures in bigtime. People can be unaware when all this starts as it’s subtle. So they’re eating less and don’t know why.

I have almost no taste for sugar any more and that truly shocks me. I will buy something (cake for example, or a donut) and take three bites and think...ehhhh. That just blows me away.

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I used to say I’d never met a carb I didn’t like.

Yes, I know why, it’s just weird experiencing it, especially sweets.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

my mom and i just got home from one of our favorite local seafood restaurants that do big portions. i always order a lunch size portion and still have leftovers.

luckily here it is cold enough to put them in the car and leave them there.

we came straight home and they are sitting in garage. i dont even need to refrgerate them......it is COLD enough.

i ate half of my soup......brought the rest home.

brought our extra rolls home.

brought my main course leftovers home.

owner bought us a dessert and i asked them to make it to go.

the only thing i finished completely were my two martinis. Smiley WinkSmiley LOL

when you live with kids there is no such thing as "too much food."

A few weeks ago here I would also have been able to leave stuff in the car, but we’re in an 80 degree heat wave right now so I knew that was a no.

Red Lobster? Every morsel I don’t eat goes home with me, and the biscuits. Love those puppies!  I’ve also gotten dessert to go here and there. And sometimes I’ll go into one of my fave tourist-area places and eat their bread pudding for my meal, cos I sure couldn’t eat anything else. Oy!

Today’s libation was a blueberry pineapple margarita, and dang it was good!

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7    I think also, once you stop eating the very sugary things and then try to eeat something like that, you notice how overly sweet they can be. I can not drink sugary beverages due to being diabetic, but have no desire to beause drinks with sugar ( tead, soda etc) tastes just like syrup to me, very unappealing.

Same with very salty foods Some . People that once were heavy with salt shaker and stop find out how much more flavorful the food is without the salt. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Shanus, my issue isn’t being hungry, it’s being not hungry ;-(

@Moonchilde  That’s definitely an “issue”...one I’m familiar with that was brought on by bouts of uncontrolled anxiety. Of course, I have no idea what your reason is for not being hungry, but I assume you know the dangers of not having adequate nutrition. Not a lecture...just have been there. 

@Shanus, I’m fine vitamin & nutrition-wise, I make sure of that. 

I had extensive, 18-month long dental issues, and various medication and musculoskeletal issues during the same time. My stomach just shrunk because I largely couldn’t eat or was having a soft diet, and any cravings I had have disappeared. It was as “natural” a loss of appetite as is possible, I think. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Having been diabetic most of my life, I tend to carry something small in my handbag like  a protein bar, bannana,  1 slice of bread with peanut butter  or a few crackers or the like to hold me over if I am gone longer than I expect like doctors appointments. I also like the idea of a cooler type item if you are going to a restaurant. Food is too expensive as it is. 

@webbgarner1 I’m Type 2, and because I’m only on Metformin I rarely have to worry about being seriously scary-low. At various times I’ll have glucose tablets, liquid glucose shots, or small bottles of a fruit drink with me if I think I’m likely to need something. 

If I have something to hold me over before I leave the house, it’s usually a bottle of liquid yogurt drink. It’s easy, fast and not horribly carby for me.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde. I’m sorry for all you’ve been through. It sounds like an ordeal. IMO, if this continues much longer, I’d seek medical advice. I don’t think the stomach shrinks. Perhaps the medications have altered your taste buds or appetite. Whatever the problem, you came here for answers, but I’m not a professional. I just know this cannot go on w/o intervention. 💕

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@Moonchilde. I’m sorry for all you’ve been through. It sounds like an ordeal. IMO, if this continues much longer, I’d seek medical advice. I don’t think the stomach shrinks. Perhaps the medications have altered your taste buds or appetite. Whatever the problem, you came here for answers, but I’m not a professional. I just know this cannot go on w/o intervention. 💕

While the stomach may not necessarily "shrink", when you get used to eating less, you are unable to go right back to eating amounts you used to. I don't think it is anything that needs an intervention. In fact, that is the retraining that people who have to lose massive amounts of weight go through. You learn to recognize the feeling of satiety before you overeat.