Honored Contributor

Re: New (for me) Eating Out Issue - Too Much Food!

wrote:

I had that same problem until I bought two insulated tote bags by Rachel Ray on Q.  I keep them in  my car and put any leftovers in one and they keep cold or hot while you are out.

I also use them to bring home frozen foods from the market.  They hold quite a bit so it's no problem.

If you put leftover, room temp food in an insulated bag without ice it’s neither properly hot nor properly cold, so will be food poisoning material after about 90 min. I’ve pointed out that I don’t always have ice or blue ice handy, though I have plenty of insulated bags. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I don't know what you can do other than take someone along, and split a meal

Some places won't let adults order from kids menus

It sounds like you have tried eating appetizers and that is still too much food

Actually,I will confess I'm a food waster. I never take leftovers home with me.  I don't like reheats ,and most of the time I end up pitching the stuff out

I confess that I have always wasted a lot of food when dining out. The portions are just too large for me so I eat what I want and don't worry about the rest.

@Moonchilde..metformin really cuts down on appetite. I started taking it for insulin resistance and it makes eating much of anything difficult. It is designed to cut appetite according to my endocrinologist.

Wow, @Trinity11, I’ve never heard that. But I’ve been taking it for 8-10 years (I’ve lost track of the joy) and it’s never affected my appetite - and I’m even taking a smaller dose than I probably should, thanks to my PCP 👺

I really do think restaurants should ditch the “hearty meal” approach for everything. Some restaurants make sense doing that but with many it’s not at all necessary.

Some of the restaurants that my kids frequent serve very small portions of food. We went to one a few years ago when I could still travel into the city and I was pretty shocked at how small the portions were. There is one the next town over from us where the chef is phenomenal and the portions are very, very small. Only problem the prices are very very high. LOL

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I’ve come to a point in my life where, due to a set of circumstances beyond my control, I eat about 8 bites of something (whatever it is) and am completely stuffed and can’t eat another bite. No, I have not had any type of stomach surgery.

I very much enjoy dining out (lunch), it’s one of life’s pleasures for me as a retiree. But now I’ll be out and about and when I go to have a meal, I’m not always in a position to go right home and stick a doggie bag in my fridge, so about half the time the rest of my “meal” (often just an appetizer) goes to waste and that bothers me. I occasionally think of putting blue ice and a soft cooler in my car before I go out, but that’s more pre-planning than I really want to do routinely, to be honest.

Any other “can only eat a few bites” people out there? I’m sure those who have had weight loss surgery have this issue. My stomach has just shrunk, but it wasn’t by artificial means.

What do you do in this situation, especially if it’s going to be so long before you get home that you’re afraid the food will go bad. They say, no more than an hour. I’ve stretched it slightly farther in cool weather, but wouldn’t stretch any more than that.

the problem is, if you don't put some time of frozen "ice" in the bag ahead of time you're putting warm/room temp food into the bag and holding it at that time in a cooler type bag.  You need to chill it down to keep it for any length of time - unless, of course, it's a cold item that you're taking left-overs of.

I know that, and have said so repeatedly in the thread. It’s not always possible or practical to carry ice around all the time - which is kind of the point.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Stay away from the buffets. They're not cheap even for seniors it can be like 12-15 apiece.  Hubbo loads up on meat and desserts. Makes him mad because I love mashed potatoes and chicken wings and any kind of bread

"I'm not paying for you to go in and eat bread, onions and mashed potatoes" LOL

Buffets are for the really big eaters like Mama June and honey boo boo

I’ve always hated buffets of any kind. It’s such a waste. I don’t even really like them for Sunday brunches, I prefer a set menu brunch. My (literal) one exception?  The Sunday brunch on the Queen Mary. Very expensive and worth every penny.  Very well done extravaganza. It would definitely be a waste for me now :-( Waaah!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Carabbas and Olive Garden offer small plates.  They are wonderful.

A weirdness I have - any other type of carb - rice, potatoes, breads - I adore and can usually eat my share. Pasta - any kind of pasta - has always filled me up in like 5 bites - spaghetti, ravioli, anything. It affects me differently than any other carb, and that’s been all my life, not just recently. I don’t understand it.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

While I don't usually eat at the restaurants that are known for big portions I usually mangage to finish my plate.  I wish I didn't!

Honored Contributor

I assume it’s aging.  I never ate large portions but I could eat an average dinner.  Now I find that very few things appeal to me.  Things I used to really like, I don’t anymore. I’m like a picky kid sometimes.

Honored Contributor

my mom and i just got home from one of our favorite local seafood restaurants that do big portions. i always order a lunch size portion and still have leftovers.

luckily here it is cold enough to put them in the car and leave them there.

we came straight home and they are sitting in garage. i dont even need to refrgerate them......it is COLD enough.

i ate half of my soup......brought the rest home.

brought our extra rolls home.

brought my main course leftovers home.

owner bought us a dessert and i asked them to make it to go.

the only thing i finished completely were my two martinis. Smiley WinkSmiley LOL

when you live with kids there is no such thing as "too much food."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Shanus, my issue isn’t being hungry, it’s being not hungry ;-(

@Moonchilde  That’s definitely an “issue”...one I’m familiar with that was brought on by bouts of uncontrolled anxiety. Of course, I have no idea what your reason is for not being hungry, but I assume you know the dangers of not having adequate nutrition. Not a lecture...just have been there. 

Honored Contributor