Trusted Contributor

Re: New (for me) Eating Out Issue - Too Much Food!

@Moonchilde

I am the opposite, I eat it all! I rarely go out, though, so it's a "treat" for me. But, despite our eating differences, I hear what you're saying. Maybe you could ask the waitress specifically for a smaller portion. Explain your condition, and maybe they will accommodate you? While I was recovering from gall bladder surgery years ago, I asked for certain things to be omitted because I couldn't eat it, and they almost always said it was okay.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I always have my Trader Joe's insulated bag in my trunk.  If I think I might need to keep something cold for a while, I throw an ice pack into it before I go out.

Yes, restaurant portions are too big and most of us don't want to waste food.  Just ask for a takeout container.  

@septemberI have one from Sams.  LOVE those things, esp. when we're on vacation!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I always have my Trader Joe's insulated bag in my trunk.  If I think I might need to keep something cold for a while, I throw an ice pack into it before I go out.

Yes, restaurant portions are too big and most of us don't want to waste food.  Just ask for a takeout container.  

I have the bag, but not always the ice. 

As I said, the doggie bag isn’t an issue, I have no problem getting them and usually do. But when I have days where I have to grocery shop and other errands, and may want to lunch before (because many places close for lunch at 2-2:30), it gets dicey.  And most places I go, it’s not a 10 min trip home ;-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Shanus, my issue isn’t being hungry, it’s being not hungry ;-(

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde, I have the solution for you. Eat what you want and then leave the rest. Don't feel guilty. Just pay and leave.

We enjoy leftovers from our own cooking, but neither of us has any desire to take restaurant food home. No guilt about not eating everything on our plate.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Yeh, @cherry, I often get appetizers these days and that works out fine. But like today, I would have loved to have taken my Chili’s lunch home. I had chicken tenders & a small cup of loaded mashed potatoes. I had them pack it up for me, but I didn’t go home for three more hours, so it got disposed of, even though I’d love to be eating it now.

Chili’s menu just doesn’t work for me right now. All kinds of small plates & appetizers, and every bloody one of them had something about it I wouldn’t like - sauce, prep method, etc there’d be one thing about it that meant I wouldn’t like it, and it wasn’t something they could change or I would have asked.

Honored Contributor

wrote:
@Moonchilde, I've never been a big eater (I've never eaten until "full'), but now in my 60s I too eat more like a bird. Once a week my husband and I go out to dinner. I usually eat far less than half my dinner (which for some reason irritates the hell out of my husband). I always bring leftovers home but some foods just don't do well the next day. I too hate to waste food. I really wish restaurants offered smaller portions. I would also like to see half loaves of bread offered at grocery stores. Many of we baby boomers are only feeding 1 or 2 people and hate to buy larger portions. I'll gladly pay more to get less just not to be wasteful.

ITA, @Its Me LuLuBelle2, on all counts.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't know what you can do other than take someone along, and split a meal

Some places won't let adults order from kids menus

It sounds like you have tried eating appetizers and that is still too much food

Actually,I will confess I'm a food waster. I never take leftovers home with me.  I don't like reheats ,and most of the time I end up pitching the stuff out

I confess that I have always wasted a lot of food when dining out. The portions are just too large for me so I eat what I want and don't worry about the rest.

@Moonchilde..metformin really cuts down on appetite. I started taking it for insulin resistance and it makes eating much of anything difficult. It is designed to cut appetite according to my endocrinologist.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I don't know what you can do other than take someone along, and split a meal

Some places won't let adults order from kids menus

It sounds like you have tried eating appetizers and that is still too much food

Actually,I will confess I'm a food waster. I never take leftovers home with me.  I don't like reheats ,and most of the time I end up pitching the stuff out

I confess that I have always wasted a lot of food when dining out. The portions are just too large for me so I eat what I want and don't worry about the rest.

@Moonchilde..metformin really cuts down on appetite. I started taking it for insulin resistance and it makes eating much of anything difficult. It is designed to cut appetite according to my endocrinologist.

Wow, @Trinity11, I’ve never heard that. But I’ve been taking it for 8-10 years (I’ve lost track of the joy) and it’s never affected my appetite - and I’m even taking a smaller dose than I probably should, thanks to my PCP 👺

I really do think restaurants should ditch the “hearty meal” approach for everything. Some restaurants make sense doing that but with many it’s not at all necessary.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Moonchilde, I have the solution for you. Eat what you want and then leave the rest. Don't feel guilty. Just pay and leave.

We enjoy leftovers from our own cooking, but neither of us has any desire to take restaurant food home. No guilt about not eating everything on our plate.

Not really guilt, as in can’t bear to waste food. I do waste food. I don’t always want to take it home. But when I do want to have a second meal from it, I want to be sure I don’t get food poisoning, hence my dilemma.