Regular Contributor

Re: New find - salad topper

[ Edited ]

@Quse Yes, I love candied pecans on salads! I make my own...we use them just as a yummy snack, on salads, on baked apples, ice cream, etc! I even give it away as Christmas gifts! It's super easy and makes your house smell so yummy. Below is the recipe in case you want to try....

Ingredients:

4    cups whole pecans

1    cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1     tsp sea salt
1/2  tsp ground nutmeg

1    egg white
1    tbsp filtered water

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (they will stick if you don't..plus easier clean up!)

In a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Seal tightly and shake to combine.

In a second gallon size Ziploc bag, combine 1 egg white with 1 tbsp filtered water. After sealing, squish until frothy, about 20 – 30 seconds.

Add pecans to the frothy egg white bag. Seal and shake well until nuts are evenly coated.

Pour egg-coated nuts into the bag with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Seal and shake again until all nuts are coated.

Pour nuts onto the lined baking sheet.

Place sheet into 250 degree oven and bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes to prevent nuts from burning.

Respected Contributor

We eat a lot of salads and use the low sodium wonton strips with ginger on our salads. I also buy in the small bag near these strips the sliced almonds. Delicious. 

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Trying to eat better - have been having organic salads for dinner each night.  Found something new from Tuscan Garden called Santa Fe Style Tortilla Strips.  It is in the produce section at my grocery along with the croutons.  It takes a bit like a taco flavored tortilla chip - says it is good in soups and chili also (I can see that).  I sprinkled only a few to keep my sodium level down.  It really added great crunch and flavor to my salad tonite.  I'll be checking out some of their other products.  I don't put cheese or anything like that in my salad, so it really made my salad taste different. 

@hoosieroriginal, I love those!  My newest obsession is the below pic.  Omg, what a treat.  Warning, do not try unless you are prepared to have a new obsession, lol.  

IMG_0157.JPG

@BornToShop - those would never hit my salad - I would be eating them straight out of the bag.  Have to watch my cholesterol - probably not a good thing for me - but boy do they look yummy!

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

I've been trying to get the Trader Joe's Crispy Ranch Flavor Chickpeas but they keep selling out.

I was thinking a few of those would be great in a salad.

@Noel7 I toast canned/drained chickpeas. You can add any seasonings you like. There are lots of recipes online

Honored Contributor

@Jeannie29 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

I've been trying to get the Trader Joe's Crispy Ranch Flavor Chickpeas but they keep selling out.

I was thinking a few of those would be great in a salad.

@Noel7 I toast canned/drained chickpeas. You can add any seasonings you like. There are lots of recipes online

@Jeannie29

I was about to write the same thing!  

Love roasted chickpeas...kinda/sorta reminds me of those

Corn-nuts I used to eat waaay back in the day!

Good for a post-workout-drive-home snack!

Honored Contributor

I did make them once. Dried them well and they never got crunchy.  Bummer.

Honored Contributor

PS I do love a sandwich of avocado mashed on toast and semi mashed chick peas topping the avocado. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7- me too! I followed the recipe exactly, but they never got totally dried out. They were just disgusting. FEH!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7- me too! I followed the recipe exactly, but they never got totally dried out. They were just disgusting. FEH!

That's so weird.

Open can. Drain chickpeas. Dry chickpeas. Bake 30-45 min. Boom.

It's like...baking a potato.

The World's simplest 'recipe'.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  congratulations on your new adventure to eat better.  It will take time for your taste buds to change, but eventually you will crave fresh produce and not need the "extras" to make it palatable.  I find adding hemp seeds to salads give a little crunchy yet creamy taste and a blast of healthy protein.  You go girl!

Really yummy kale salad:

take the leaves off the kale spine and chop fine, add fresh juice of a lemon, massage an avocado into the salad, chop two tomatoes and enjoy!  (other additions you might like; fresh mango or craisins instead of tomatoes, hemp seeds or pine nuts....)