Respected Contributor

Trying to eat better - have been having organic salads for dinner each night.  Found something new from Tuscan Garden called Santa Fe Style Tortilla Strips.  It is in the produce section at my grocery along with the croutons.  It takes a bit like a taco flavored tortilla chip - says it is good in soups and chili also (I can see that).  I sprinkled only a few to keep my sodium level down.  It really added great crunch and flavor to my salad tonite.  I'll be checking out some of their other products.  I don't put cheese or anything like that in my salad, so it really made my salad taste different. 

Honored Contributor

I like the won ton strips myself. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: New find - salad topper

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the tip!

I've been trying to get the Trader Joe's Crispy Ranch Flavor Chickpeas but they keep selling out.

I was thinking a few of those would be great in a salad.

Regular Contributor

Sounds yummy! Another great way to eat better salads I've found is to use flavored vinegars as the dressing. I found some amazing ones at Oil & Vinegar (store in my local mall) that don't even require oil bc they are so delicious. My favs are Mango & Plum! 

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Trying to eat better - have been having organic salads for dinner each night.  Found something new from Tuscan Garden called Santa Fe Style Tortilla Strips.  It is in the produce section at my grocery along with the croutons.  It takes a bit like a taco flavored tortilla chip - says it is good in soups and chili also (I can see that).  I sprinkled only a few to keep my sodium level down.  It really added great crunch and flavor to my salad tonite.  I'll be checking out some of their other products.  I don't put cheese or anything like that in my salad, so it really made my salad taste different. 

@hoosieroriginal, I love those!  My newest obsession is the below pic.  Omg, what a treat.  Warning, do not try unless you are prepared to have a new obsession, lol.  

IMG_0157.JPG

Honored Contributor

@michigangirl723 wrote:

Sounds yummy! Another great way to eat better salads I've found is to use flavored vinegars as the dressing. I found some amazing ones at Oil & Vinegar (store in my local mall) that don't even require oil bc they are so delicious. My favs are Mango & Plum! 

I use balsamic vinegar routinely, I use others too but I also love to use raspberry vinegar and sherry vinegar when I put fruit in a salad.

I also like using different oils, walnut oil is a favorite, and I add a little sesame oil to Asian salads.

Regular Contributor

@Noel7 Balsamic is my most used as well. Love when vinegars give so much flavor, there isn't a need to add oil!

Valued Contributor

@michigangirl723 wrote:

Yes. Found Raspberry vinegar at Wegmans...love a raspberry vinegrette with bleu cheese and spinach salad. Those pecans would be great in it. (Not exactly low in fat and sugar but I figure it's better than some things)

Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's has ready made candied pecans which I use for salads.

I've also made my own over the years.  There are a lot of recipes online if anyone would like to try, it's easy and you can make sweet or savory nuts.

Honored Contributor

Pomegranate vinegar is delicious on salads.