Honored Contributor

Re: New delivery fee in Minnesota

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Colorado started this last year.

I know there is a Colorado-27-cent fee on Amazon for each order placed and not for every order delivered. In other words if I place more than one order then I get charged 27 cents each order even if they get delivered in one box. 

Yes, it's 27 cents for each order placed if it will be delivered by a motor vehicle.  (If Amazon started delivering by rickshaw, I guess it would save you a few pennies.)

It will increase to 28 cents in July.

@RollTide2008 

Just wondering, that fee isn't per item, is it?

I don't order from Amz, but if I did and put 5 things in my cart at the same time and checked out...would I pay .27 or $1.35?

Or does it depend on how many boxes they use to ship the entire order out?

Respected Contributor

I see the need to have those using home shipping addresses pay for the extra damage and wear and tear on the infrastructure. I drove I-10 from New Mexico to LA for Christmas. The number of Amazon 18 wheelers was mind blowing. After those 18 wheelers offload, the merchandise has got to be taken to each individual drop off. It makes total sense for the ones using the service to pay for the damage it is causing. Those not using it are not having to pay for others convenience with their tax dollars.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Colorado started this last year.

I know there is a Colorado-27-cent fee on Amazon for each order placed and not for every order delivered. In other words if I place more than one order then I get charged 27 cents each order even if they get delivered in one box. 

Yes, it's 27 cents for each order placed if it will be delivered by a motor vehicle.  (If Amazon started delivering by rickshaw, I guess it would save you a few pennies.)

It will increase to 28 cents in July.

@RollTide2008 

Just wondering, that fee isn't per item, is it?

I don't order from Amz, but if I did and put 5 things in my cart at the same time and checked out...would I pay .27 or $1.35?

Or does it depend on how many boxes they use to ship the entire order out?

The tax code says it's per order, but it's up to the retailer to determine what constitutes an order.  For instance, if I put three items in my cart and all three items bill separately, that's usually three orders even if they all ship in one box.  This often happens with QVC, especially when the items are on easy pay and the easy pay terms aren't the same.  Amazon usually bundle the items in my cart based on where they're going to ship from.  If I have 10 items and they ship from 4 different places, they would probably consider it 4 different orders.  If I order and pay for two pizzas, an order of garlic knots, and a cinnamon pull apart from Papa Johns, I would pay for those items in one order and they would be delivered all in one order, so it would be one charge.

Retailers have a lot of latitude to determine what they call an order, but they have to be consistent with it.

Respected Contributor

I left MN because it is the Land of 10,000 taxes.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

75 cents now, $2.00 next year and so on.  

I think they stay up at night thinking of new ways to drain our bank accounts.

It's actually 40 cents and steps up to 50 cents by 2027.  But go on...

Honored Contributor

@judianne wrote:

So here in Minnesota , there is a proposal to add a 75 cent fee for every home delivery !!  

@judianne  Would it be cheaper if you pay for a large package lock box at your local post office to have your packages delivered there?  Same as a P.O. Box.

Would you still be charged 75¢ since technically it's not your home address?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

My state has begun assessing a yearly tax on fuel efficient cars.  Since these cars use less fuel they’re not paying as much in gas tax, which helps to support the roads. 

Respected Contributor

@judianne wrote:

So here in Minnesota , there is a proposal to add a 75 cent fee for every home delivery !!   Who stays up all night to come up with this stuff . The reason behind it is because cars are using less gas because of fuel efficiency , so less tax $ coming in , and delivery trucks vans cars, are more abundant nowadays so they are using the roads more thus causing the road damage !!  Good grief what next ?  If it goes through in Minnesota you can bet other states will get in on it too . l checked my deliveries for the past year , l got 108 packages from Amazon alone , that comes to around $75 extra dollars in fees . My husband orders from ebay and miscellaneous tools places and media suppliers as well . What do you think ?  l am sure QVC won't be happy  ! 

Do TPTB think that it would be a better alternative to have every single person get in their car and go pick up every single thing they order?  How does that alleviate the problem of "road damage"?  Insanity. 

Respected Contributor

That's ridiculous.  Stuff like this will continue until people stand up and put a stop to it. 

Valued Contributor

There's another reason I would leave Minnesota and has nothing to do with taxes!!!