Contributor

New covid cases going way down in Michigan

Stay at home orders do work. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise. This is in Michigan.

On March 30 new covid cases hit our peak at 1537. There was still very little testing. 

May 13 we only had 33 new cases. We are currently testing more than 10,000 a day.

We have slowly started to open things back up. Some manufacturing went back to work this week. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: New covid cases going way down in Michigan

Yes I agree the stay at home works.  Unfortunately things will be opening up Waaaaaaay too slow in Michigan to really help the state survive.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, stay at home, all the distancing and masks do work.  The real problem is that is the only tool we have.  We only have about 3% infection rate so 97% are still fair game and we have only tested about 5% in MI.  

This means we don't have any real idea who may be sick right now infecting more people.  

They have a long hard road ahead.  Mi is the 10th largest state and as of last week was #3 in infection rate.  MI has 10 million, 10,000 testing/day is not nearly enough.  At the current rate, everyone will be tested in about 2 1/2 years.  This is why the Governor is trying to slow down the opening.

You can't force people to start shopping, etc. if they don't feel safe.

Occasional Contributor

Jackiew- I agree that stay at home orders do work. I have to correct your numbers- on May 13- there was 40 deaths and 370 new cases. Please post accurate facts. I don't even live in MI and I know the numbers.

Contributor

@piggyluver77 wrote:

Jackiew- I agree that stay at home orders do work. I have to correct your numbers- on May 13- there was 40 deaths and 370 new cases. Please post accurate facts. I don't even live in MI and I know the numbers.

I got these numbers from mi.gov. site. Where did you get yours?

Honored Contributor

@piggyluver77 wrote:

@piggyluver77   You mean you looked this up in response to the initial post for whatever reason.

I doubt you knew these numbers.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

Hi cakers!  So good to see you!

Honored Contributor

@jackiew   So good to see you, too.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad the numbers are down in Michigan. I hope they continue to do so. 

Esteemed Contributor

The MI governor is doing what is scientifically correct. I am fortunate that I live in NY state, where our governor is also managing this pandemic. Our upstate county will see a partial opening tomorrow because we have met all the criteria set forth by Gov. Cuomo. Those states that are opening up willy nilly will pay dearly. We cannot ignore the experts just because we wish this bug acted differently, more predictably. When have we ever ignored our doctors but heeded the advice of our politicians instead? Doctors are sworn to do no harm. I can't say the same for politicians.