Esteemed Contributor

Re: New car shopping question

I got a great deal on a car that was under 2 years old. The make and model that I wanted but was too $$$$ new. I have since moved an hour away from where I have it serviced. Worth it for me as the service tech is outstanding and I usually only have to go there every six month, like doctor and dentist. Smiley Happy 

If you are buying new and plan to keep your car for 5-7 years it may be worth it for you. A very individual decision. Where is the dealership located in reference to your home? You can always have a car serviced at any new car dealership for your car's brand even if you bought it elsewhere.

Dealerships are also too much $ for me. I found a great independent tech through an online owner's club.

Esteemed Contributor

Never. That kind of investment warrants service close by.Over the years there have been several recalls on our various cars. It was very convenient to drop the car off at the dealership for service. They also gave us rides back home & picked us up when needed.

There is a great advantage in buying local.We’ve bought 3 cars at our local dealer.They know us & go out of their way for us.

You may not need it often but when there’s an issue with your expensive vehicle you’ll be glad that they’re nereby!!

Honored Contributor

If it was a Toyota, I would.

A Toyota rarely needs dealership attention.

Once or twice a year, like others have mentioned

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your opinions. You all have made some good points, there is a luxury car that I would like, with low milage, but the Nissan dealership told me they will just do basic service on it.

I really do appreciate you all taking the time to give me your opinions.

Honored Contributor

If it’s a luxury vehicle, they probably offer a rental car for the day/2

while your car is being serviced...even with basic service....

at least they do in DFW (Lexus).  Get the wonderful car you want and

worry about service when the time comes.💛

Honored Contributor

We drive forty minutes to get our vehicles serviced. The dealer offers a car if we want to shop or get a bite to eat but we don't mind waiting. Don't know a thing about luxury cars, but if our Chevy/Buick dealer is gracious, I'd bet a luxury dealership would be very accommodating.

Esteemed Contributor

I have lived in small towns almost my entire adult life and frequently have had to go out of town to get our care serviced.  Additonally, after the initial warranty is gone I find a good local mechanic.  I've owned a lot of cars (used to change them every two years). IMHO, cars are built better and we have had no surprises in that area in last 15 years. We rotate tires every time we change our oil and follow major recommended maintenance.  Our most recent car is a gently used low mileage Buick.

Esteemed Contributor

The car I like is an Infinity QX60.

Do any of you have experience with Infinities that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Do you think they are good vehicles? I have a Chevy Traverse now, and I love it. My dh thinks its time to trade because it has close to 100k miles on it.

Honored Contributor

how long is the warranty on the car and what does the warranty cover?

if my warranty was over with the local dealership, i would find a reliable local mechanic that can service the car rather than take it an hour away to be serviced.

taking my car an hour away from where i live would be a major inconvenience.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@happycat 

We've bought 4 new vehicles from a dealership that was over a 45 minute drive, into another state. Why? Because that dealership had great service(which included a new loaner)/they added 1 year warranty through their dealership, and they had far and away the best price.

What's a longer drive for those benefits?  That, you can decide.

hckynut

hckynut(john)