Honored Contributor

Re: New car shopping question

@happycat .....................100k milage is not much for todays cars.

Yes I would travel that far for service.  Most likely if its a major problem the manufacturer would have you bring or towed to the dealership anyway.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

There's only one car in my house and I hate wasting time sitting in any dealer's showroom, so -  the one thing I like least about the car I bought last spring is that the dealership is a half-hour drive from home and I have to wait while it's serviced.  I lived close enough to my previous dealer so that I could use their door-to-door shuttle service. 

Even though I really like the new car, I see myself putting off all sorts of little annoyances I would have had looked at if I could have been at the dealer within 10 minutes.  Changed dealers because I wasn't pleased with the way two major problems were handled by the dealership and the company itself.

Trusted Contributor

Nope!  I bought a very expensive sewing machine a couple of years ago. The dealer is a little over an hour away. When it needs to be serviced, it’s a pain in the neck. Drop it off, then pick it up a week or so later. 

If you would need to leave your car, would you get a loaner?

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Valued Contributor

@happycat Check to see if the dealership will send someone for your car and give a rental.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat: Check the the stats on Infinity models. Not as good as many. They are derived from Nissan, but a Nissan dealership may not have the proper equipment when full service is needed on an Infinity. That's probably why they say they can only do basic service on such a vehicle, like oil/ filter changes.

If the Traverse runs well, gives you no problems and can be serviced near home, why not hold on to it a little longer? 100k miles is nothing on today's cars, unless you want to get as much $ in sale or trade as possible.

Good luck with your decision. I would not do this unless the Infinity model you have your eye on is your absolute fave and is a deal you can't say No to. I looked for a particular luxury make, model and features for over a year before I found it through CarGurus. Happy I did. Will keep it til the wheels fall off as I did with the previous model.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We swear by our Lexus dealer. We always get a loaner car if they need to keep the car for any work done...and their customer service is stellar...even free chocolates when you pick up your car! Because all service and scheduled maintenance has been done at the dealership where we bought our cars, the service record is a huge plus when reselling...they can certify the car and make more when they sell it...and we get more if we trade in. It may cost more than a small garage somewhere...but in the long run it is more than worth it. We both have a Lexus...mine is 12 years old and DH’s is 10. Both look and run like new cars. I will prob give it to a grand when I decide to get another one.

Frequent Contributor

I just purchased a new Honda CRV from a dealership that is about 20 mins away (my choice to go to this dealer rather than one closer).  Prior to that I drove an Honda Odyssey for 13 years.  Went to dealer while under warranty then to a local Firestone for repairs.  

We have had pretty good luck with Honda's and have not had too many issues with getting local repairs or repairs at the dealer for some things.   We have a 2007 CRV, 2009 Accord, 2011 Fit and a 2018 CRV.  We look like a used car Honda lot.  lol

The biggest issue with cars today is the the electronics on them.  That can be costly if you not under warranty.  

Good luck with you search.