Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  It is the ONLY mainstream media product I trust.  The rest of the genre are fake news.

Honored Contributor

Re: New York Post

[ Edited ]

The highly esteemed (at least in some quarters) Pete Hamill also wrote for the New York Post.  He was both a columnist and editor.  

I believe that the New York Post and the Daily News have both been given to splashy headline-grabbing front-page articles with the boldest of headlines.  Neither one can dismiss that there is an element of sensationalism on their pages.  However, I believe that each newspaper has good, traditional writers and editors on staff.

In my late 20s, I lived with a prominent writer on the Daily News  (and his family, I'd like to add).  He did some good investigative journalism with them in the 1970s and he'd won a Pulitzer for work he'd done while with UPI in Spain.

Here's a link to the big story that Harry Stathos helped break.  Yes, some of you older ones might remember Harry's name from the Daily News.  He deserves some posthumous respect.

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2014/01/14/inenglish/1389699914_451699.html

Another award for Harry and colleagues on the Daily News:

The New York Press Club announced yesterday its 1976 awards for outstanding news coverage by newspaper, radio and television reporters.

The Daily News won first prize in the byline category for Its coverage of the bombing at La Guardia Airport Dec. 29, handled by Pat Doyle, Harry Stathos and Michael Oreskes. WPIX‐TV won in the TV category for coverage by Paul Bloom of the crash of an East,ern Airlines jet at Kennedy International Airport last June 24. ‘The radio news staff of WCBS won for coverage of the same crash.

Respected Contributor

"Re: New York Post

[ Edited ]

@Somertime wrote:

@Kachina624 It is a legitimate newspaper and is owned by Rupert Murdoch.  It doesn't hold as much weight as it did at one time.  I know they reported a rumor on the death of Kim Jong Un.  I'll wait until it's confirmed by other sources.  Sometimes they do get a scoop.  It's is not in the same category as the National Enquirer if that is what you are asking.

You're right, @Somertime , that the NYPost "reported a rumor on the death of Kim Jon Un."  They also acknowledged that a rumor was all it was, and they identified the sources of the rumors.  Here's the entire article, for anyone interested:

"Kim Jong Un is rumored to be dead, according to a Hong Kong broadcast network, while a Japanese magazine is reporting that North Korea’s rocket man is in a “vegetative state” after he underwent heart surgery earlier this month.

A vice director of HKSTV Hong Kong Satellite Television, a Beijing-backed broadcast network in Hong Kong, claimed that Kim was dead, citing a “very solid source.” Her post on the Chinese messaging app Weibo has been shared widely on social media, according to a report in the International Business Times.

Other unconfirmed reports, attributed to senior party sources in Beijing, said an operation to insert a stent went wrong because the surgeon’s hands were shaking so badly."

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Kachina624  It is the ONLY mainstream media product I trust.  The rest of the genre are fake news.

@Cats3000 

By "genre," are you referring to "tabloids,"  or are you including legitimate publications such as the NYT and WaPo?

Honored Contributor

It's a tabloid that specializes in NY gossip. Doesn't mean everything in it is false. Just that the emphasis is not hard news.

Anyone who calls the MSM fake news can include this paper in the news they consider fake and disregard it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Have you read the NY Times or Washington Post lately?  Sometimes their headlines are so sednsational that they belie the facts in the stories that follow.  Print media today are going for more sensationalism because it sells when print media is lagging.  I enjoy reading NY Post, but it has I believe a conservatie value so it may not be for all.  Perhaps the sensational stories you are referring to are contained in the Post's   "Page 6" which covers gossip and lighter news   I also enjoy reading the Wall Street Journal but take everything I read with light skepticism.

Trusted Contributor

There are a few decent columnists - and fewer all the time - but it is basically a joke.  The  apex of their journalistic wit was the oft-quoted headline:  Headless Body in Topless Bar.  

Esteemed Contributor

The Post is as trust worthy as any other news outlet, including newspapers and TV news stations.  The NY Post is like a red state and The NY Daily News is like a blue state.  We all tend to read/watch media that more align with our own leanings, but the story referred to was a legitimate story not speculative.  While both the Post and the News are categorized as tabloids they are as trustworthy as the WP and NY Times and that's not saying much.

Esteemed Contributor

Love it or hate it, there is no denying that the NY Post has the best headlines!

Super Contributor

They call it a newspaper but even as a teenager I thought it was garbage.