Honored Contributor
NEW YEAR SUPERSTITIONS
You can't be too careful!

1. Avoid a chill. Kiss your
significant other at the stroke of midnight, or you will set the stage for a year of coldness!!

2. Stock up. Cupboards must be full 
and plenty of money placed in every wallet to guarantee prosperity in the new year.

3. Wear new clothes. Wearing black catnew clothes on January 1 increases the likelihood of receiving more new garments during the following year.

4. Avoid breaking things. If you don't, wreckage might be part of your year.

5. Let the old year out. At midnight,
all the doors must be opened to let
the old year escape unimpeded. (This custom must have begun in a more temperate climate than Michigan.)

6. Eat black-eyed peas. Eating them will attract general good luck to the one doing the dining. In an effort to ensure good luck for all our guests, we will be serving a side dish of black-eyed peas to all of our diners on New Year's Day. They're flavored with pork hocks (another lucky food) and collard greens.

7. Examine the weather in the early hours of New Year's Day. If the wind blows from the south, there will be fine weather and prosperous times in the year ahead. If it comes from the north, it will be a year of bad weather. Wind blowing from the east brings famine and calamities. If the wind blows from the west, the year will witness plentiful supplies of milk and fish. If there's no wind at all, a joyful and prosperous year may be expected by all.
Honored Contributor

@cherry, and everyone,

https://www.fg-a.com/new-year/2019-happy-new-year-animation.gif

Honored Contributor

2BED4D04-AC06-4A0C-8771-998FCCB9AE51.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Daddy had one: A dark haired man (had to be the first one) must bring in silver. That way you will have silver in the new year. Also a piece of coal

Trusted Contributor

Pat did a run-down of traditions from around the world yesterday during a Susan Graver show on Q2.  Very interesting.  One included three peeled or not peeled potatoes under your bed at midnight, and one from Spain was eating 12 grapes simultaneously at midnight.  It was a fun addition to the show.

Trusted Contributor

Re: New Years superstitions

[ Edited ]

Wow @cherry, I must live in a box.  I truly have never heard of these.  Very very interesting. I AM OPENING MY DOORS FOR SURE TO LET ICKY 2018 OUTTA HERE. HORRIBLE YEAR.Thanks and HAPPY 2019 TO YOU AND YOURS...HEALTH AND LOVE YOUR WAY.

Honored Contributor

You're supposed to wear red underwear too for good luck. I don't have any so I put burgundy on. Don't think it will work.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

One popular tradition in Puerto Rico is cleaning the inside and outside of the home before the New Year arrives. It is believed that the condition that you welcome the new year will be the condition that will prevail in the new year. This is why many people also choose to wear new clothing to receive the new year with new things. People also throw buckets of water out of their window or balcony to clean out the old year and others believe it also drives away evil spirits or demons and scares away bad luck.

I'm in the middle of cleaning now...ugh!Smiley Frustrated

ny-5.gif

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

Black-eyed peas and collards are cooking now.  Most of the black-eyed peas will be used in the Hoppin' John.

If I open the doors at midnight the only thing that is going to escape is the cat!  She's low to the ground and fast.  I'm old, stiff and slow.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

On New Year's Eve place some money outside your door.  Bring it in on New Year's Day.  This will ensure you will never be broke in the new year.

Grow old my body but stay young my heart