Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Way Thieves are Breaking Into Homes

Unfortunately, breaking the window in the car to get into the glove box for the garage door opener - is not new. This happened to one of my neighbors around 6 years ago. Many people leave the opener clipped on the visor --- not a good idea. 

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

Yep. Or while your shopping sinc your registration is usually in the glove box with your garage remote and it has your address on it. 

This is one reason my dad (a police officer) always told us not to carry our registration in the car.

When pulled over in this area, they ask for it, but we legally in Ohio have so many days to provide it if they wish to actually see it. Most let it slide, and I don't see the purpose of carrying it anyway, because between running the plates, your insurance card, and your ID, they know darn well who you are and who the car is registered to with the computers now.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Unfortunately, breaking the window in the car to get into the glove box for the garage door opener - is not new. This happened to one of my neighbors around 6 years ago. Many people leave the opener clipped on the visor --- not a good idea. 

@kivah that is so true.  However, there is a security system on that vehicle and the glove compartment is locked so hopefully if someone tried to break the window out the alarm would go off.  But goodness only knows, there is probably something they can do to prevent the alarm from going off as well.  It is hard to stay ahead of thieves at times!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

dont most cars have alarm systems these days?

i would think that if anyone tried to break into any of our cars ( we have a total of 5, so a few do have to sit on the driveway or on our street) the car alarms would be loud enough to scare potential thieves away.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

i would think that if anyone tried to break into any of our cars ( we have a total of 5, so a few do have to sit on the driveway or on our street) the car alarms would be loud enough to scare potential thieves away.

@sunshine45  Not if your windows are busted, this happened to me last October and the police officer said this is how the thieves bypass the car alarms by not touching the car doors. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45  Not if your windows are busted, this happened to me last October and the police officer said this is how the thieves bypass the car alarms by not touching the car doors. 

@JaneMarple

thanks.....i dont think i realized that. of course, i cannot test it out. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

This is something that I thought of more than 20 years ago when we bought the house.

We always lock the door from the garage into the house and lock the garage door opener in the garage so even if you hit the switch in the car it won't open.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, my car was in the repair parking lot because of vandalism,  It was broken into at the repair shop.  They not only got the garage door opener, but by keeping the registration in the glove compartment, my address. Fortunately, we realized this and changed the code on it.  They came by the next evening and broke into my husband's truck.  I have carried my registration in my wallet all these years since.  Why does it have to be in the glove compartment,?  If you are stopped, it,s in your purse with you.

Honored Contributor

Registration and driver's license should be on your person. Insurance card should remain with the car. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

If we were asleep in our house and the garage door went up it would absolutely wake us up and that burgler would get aquainted with our 12 gauge shotgun. However, we do keep our car in the garage and the door down and locked. Where we live the HOA rule is no cars outside from 2AM til 8AM and all doors must be closed after dark.If we have company and need to leave a car out we have to request permission.