Honored Contributor

Re: New Way Thieves are Breaking Into Homes

Well, you can remote start your engine, have your opener built into your car, and such now.  I haven't had a separate opener in years.  We always put our cars in at night, so I don't really worry about that.  You can ony do so much now.  

One newly divorced guy was having car trouble with alarms in car going off about 3 a.m.  He had it in the shop several times and they couldn't find anything wrong UNTIL one of the mechanics who knew him said "Does your wife have a cell phone?"  LOL!!!  She was setting of the alarm through her phone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tedEbear  I put a rod in my door at night (patio door)  I also have the dogs crate in front of it.  She would bark like crazy!   My patio door is screened in and I have lock on that door and I recently had locks put on my gate doors.  My hubby passed in March and my neighbor decided to help himself into my yard. 

Esteemed Contributor

Turn the power off to the garage door. Our garage opener has a lock button so the door cannot be opened. My dh has been known to lock the car when it is in the garage.

Respected Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

I receive daily emails informing residents of what's new in the area.  One of the emails I just got detailed a new way thieves are breaking into homes.  They are breaking into cars parked in driveways and using the garage door opener to get into the house.  Once inside, they help themselves to whatever they want including the car keys and take off with the car.  I never thought of this and it makes sense ~ how easy would that be?  Our garage is attached to the house but we have three large dogs but you never know.  When our garage door broke recently we had to leave both cars in the driveway and I never gave a second thought to bring in the opener.  This happened in towns about 20 minutes away but I still remind my husband to bring the opener in.  Why invite trouble, right?  :-)

Thank you for the warning. So simple, I also would never thought about it.  I am locking my garage door now!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe------  Was that the very "helpful neighbor"?  I hope they are keeping their distance.

I am #1 scaredy cat.  My Dad was a cop, so I tend to think of every bad thing that can be imagined. My door is locked,screened and shuttered on the inside. Security door at front is locked even when DH puttering around the house.

I have finally decided I will be going by way of an airplane falling out of the sky, with cars, boats, and tons of water on it, during an earthquake, while we are in a severe lightning storm.  So I am pretty much covered.

As far as the car being out, we had a VW bug tipped  on it's side into the tree out front. Another stolen from mall parking lot, apparently stripped  down and set afire.

If someone wants in, they will find a way in.  There is nothing here that I would worry about.

Esteemed Contributor

@tedEbear  Yes that is him.  He is staying away.  He won't speak , wave or anything now.  I told the police and every neighbor on the street.  I am sure it got back to him , but I don't care.  My best friend was a cop , so I know how you feel.  

I get so angry with myself that I didn't tell him to get out of my house the first week.  Oh well live and learn!

Honored Contributor

Another problem with garage door openers is they have a factory set code to open the door. People are advised to change the code when you get the remote. There are people that cruise neighborhoods to find garage doors to open that use the factory codes.

Take the remote and bring it inside your home.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Wouldn't one lock the door from the house to the garage?

I would think so.

Valued Contributor

A neighbor's home was broken into in the middle of the night by thieves who opened the garage door with the remote in the car parked in the driveway. They woke at 3 a.m. to hear them in the garage. How terrifying! If we have to leave a car parked in the driveway overnight we bolt the garage doors shut with long steel bar bolts, and dead-bolt the door to the house.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This isn't new.  I've often heard that you should keep your garage door opener in your purse.  Even if your car was broken into while you're at work or shopping, there are probably things in your car with your address.  All thieves have to do is go to your house with your opener and help themselves.

FYI:  There is also a way thieves can get into your garage by putting a long, skinny wire into the crack at the top of the door and snagging and pulling release rope that hangs down.  Then the door can easily be opened and shut manually.

Exactly, hate to be the bearer of bad news but a thief doesn't necessarily need a gargage door opener to open the door.  This has been out there for some time. 

Here is a link to a news report of how they do it and what you can do to prevent it.

http://www.news4jax.com/community/thief-can-open-your-garage-door-in-6-seconds

For those that might be interested, but don't click on links...a simple google search of theifs breaking into a garage without an opener will return the information. 

We have 3 vehicles right now and one vehicle parked in the driveway always has the remote in it, although at night we put it in the glove compartment.  And yes, we lock our cars even though they are in the gargage.  We don't make a habit of leaving things in the car whether they are in the driveway, the garage, or parked in a parking lot. 

Our door leading from the garage to the house has a lock and deadbolt and we always keep all windows and doors locked.  Never a guarantee, but we do take steps to make it as difficult as possible.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *