Honored Contributor

Re: New Way Thieves are Breaking Into Homes

Thank you for the info, OP! We can't be too careful these days.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

That has been going on for some time.  Our cars are in the garage and our door from the garage to the house is always locked, whether we are home or not.

Respected Contributor

That method has been in the news, off and on, for a few years. The other thing that has happened is thieves going to where cars are parked for big events, such as concerts and games, and breaking into cars, getting the opener, finding out from the license plates and online research or from items left in car what address the car belongs to, and breaking in while homeowners are at a public event. 

The bottom line? Do not leave your garage door remote in the car, or lock it up so at least it is not visible. And be sure you have a good deadbolt on the door from inside the  garage into your home.

Respected Contributor

DH and I agree w/you and we will be locking the remote in the glove box, where the bad guys at least wont be able to see it.

Honored Contributor

maestra wrote:

Put you remote in your purse or make sure to bring it inside.

We always lock our doors from the garage to the house. Why make it any easier?

The only thing I would caution about that is that you could accidentally hit the button, open the garage door, and not realize it.

I only say that because my husband used to bring his in with him and have it in his pocket or something and was always hitting the button without realizing it.  He would be on the other side of the house, so he wouldn't even hear the garage door opening.   

That's why I put up the hook for him so that as soon as he comes into the house from the garage (vehicle out in driveway, but he goes through the garage and comes in that door), he hangs his keys and opener before he can do something inadvertently.

Respected Contributor

Almost nightly in Indianapolis a neighborhood is targeted - and AGAIN the news people remind people not to leave personal items in their car if it is left in driveway or on the street - people are STILL complaining that laptops, purses, wallets, cellphones were taken - when will people learn - we don't live in the 1950s anymore!  You can't leave your car and home unlocked! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been hearing that they have some kind of electronic contraption that unlocks car door (newer cars).  Also, we have a slider lock, chain lock and one of those door jamb (?)  flipper gadgets on front door and interior garage-kitchen doors.   Also, I've seen on one of the home shopping channels and/or advertisement: a type of alarm gadget that sounds off the minute a door knob/door is opened, or when the door is moved to open. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This isn't new.  I've often heard that you should keep your garage door opener in your purse.  Even if your car was broken into while you're at work or shopping, there are probably things in your car with your address.  All thieves have to do is go to your house with your opener and help themselves.

FYI:  There is also a way thieves can get into your garage by putting a long, skinny wire into the crack at the top of the door and snagging and pulling release rope that hangs down.  Then the door can easily be opened and shut manually.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

p.s.  Just guessing that the safest way is to unplug the electric garage door, and 'lock' the track-chain so it can't move in any direction.  But, if there is a window in the garage..............that's another problem.   Well, looks as though it's best to  heavily secure the interior door that leads to the house from the garage.  'It's always something'.............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I've also had to get stern with my friend - she has a huge purse she hauls around and when we get ready to go in to a store or restaurant, she wants to leave her bag in the car - I tell her someone is not breaking into MY car for HER purse - I make her take it with her.