Respected Contributor

Re: New UPS Delivery Procedures

YES, I have experienced this twice now.  Two times I had to go pick up my package after a first attempt to deliver.

UPS is making out like a bandit - being paid to deliver a package and people have to go pick it up after their first attempt to deliver.  I have had nothing but issues with UPS and will pay extra to have something delivered by USPS.

Honored Contributor

This isn't a new policy in my area.  There are numerous Access Points in every town and city.  Access Points have been around for about two years here and Ups stopped making more than one visit around that time.  They make one attempt to deliver and then they drop it off at the nearest Access Point.  But you can go online and request that they drop off at Access Point before they even make the attempt to deliver.  Some of my friends who work do that.  Fedex also uses the Acess Points, it can be quite busy when you pick something up on Saturday.  I live in a small suburban town but we have 4 Access Points now and that has eased the crunch.  Around Christmas, when there were only two, the lines went out the door and up the street.   Like I said this is definitely not new.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  If I may, I'm kind of confused about 'requesting' UPS to deliver vs some other service to deliver.  Does your request eliminate UPS from dropping your pkg(s) at  your local post office only for them to deliver pkg(s) as a UPS smartpost (or whatever they call it, may be sure post).  Then it's in the hands of you mail carrier.

Would you mind explaining a bit more on this?

I receive pkgs both ways.  And now Fedex is in the mix with their tranfer to USPS and labeling it 'fedex smart post'.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is not new in my area ... but the first time my delivery man mentioned it, I told him that I pay for packages to be delivered to my home ... that I would not go to some remote access pick up point ... that UPS could just go fly a kite.  

Never heard from them again about a remote pickup.

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness  Unless UPS has changed their policy on if you need to sign for a pkg, I don't experience this anymore but when I did in the past I always was given a 2nd attempt del'y notice the next day. After that it was pickup by me.

Super Contributor

I have to say that of all the delivery companies, I love UPS.  They put my packages inside my screen door so no one knows they are there.  And if they see a package on my porch that was delivered by USPS, they put that package inside my screen door too.  However, I noticed the last few times I got a package delivered, there was a form stuck on my door about trying to deliver, but no box was checked and the package was on my porch.    So I don't know what's going on with that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness  I read your post again about "you'd pay extra to have USPS do all of your delivering'.

I currently am having HUGE issues with USPS in doing their job to get back 4 returns I'm struggling with.  So unless they move my goods, in my eyes they don't deserve anything extra.  So I really have issues with USPS. 

Obviously appears many of us have particular issues with any/all delivery services in some way, shape and form.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@sunshine45  If I may, I'm kind of confused about 'requesting' UPS to deliver vs some other service to deliver.  Does your request eliminate UPS from dropping your pkg(s) at  your local post office only for them to deliver pkg(s) as a UPS smartpost (or whatever they call it, may be sure post).  Then it's in the hands of you mail carrier.

Would you mind explaining a bit more on this?

I receive pkgs both ways.  And now Fedex is in the mix with their tranfer to USPS and labeling it 'fedex smart post'.

placed an order earlier today. when i got to the shipping page, these were my options..... i chose ups ground delivery (hopefully it is not that mail innovations/smartpost stuff that they do.) i will know when it is delivered. i get much more reliable and better service overall from UPS than from USPS.

UPS Ground, by 06/23/17* $3.00
US Mail, by 06/23/17* $5.47
Standard Delivery, by 06/23/17* $5.47
Priority US Mail, by 06/23/17* $8.22
Express Delivery, by 06/21/17* $10.47
UPS Express (Blue), by 06/21/17* $11.97
Premium Delivery, by 06/20/17* $17.47
UPS Premium (Red), by 06/20/17* $18.97

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD- it must be their policy where I live because this just happened recently.

I don't do returns very often at all, almost never, so it has not been a problem with USPS.  At least I GET the package delivered if I am home or not!

Honored Contributor

Sunshine45 wrote:

placed an order earlier today. when i got to the shipping page, these were my options..... i chose ups ground delivery (hopefully it is not that mail innovations/smartpost stuff that they do.) i will know when it is delivered. i get much more reliable and better service overall from UPS than from USPS.

UPS Ground, by 06/23/17* $3.00
US Mail, by 06/23/17* $5.47
Standard Delivery, by 06/23/17* $5.47
Priority US Mail, by 06/23/17* $8.22
Express Delivery, by 06/21/17* $10.47
UPS Express (Blue), by 06/21/17* $11.97
Premium Delivery, by 06/20/17* $17.47
UPS Premium (Red), by 06/20/17* $18.97

I don't know which retailer this is, but it's concerning that 'UPS Red' (which is overnight) costs $19 AND you still won't get it for four days!