Trusted Contributor

I live in Chicago Illinois and have recently learned of new UPS handling of home delivery.

I spoke to a driver today who delivered a QVC package.  Asked him about some notices I have seen regarding dropoff of packages at an access point which is a business a few blocks from where I live.

He basically told me that it makes more sense to dropoff my package at this local business if I do not accept delivery on first attempt.  He was not clear on whether or not this applies to all deliveries because he said something about "potential" drop off on the package I just received.  He was just not clear.

I told him that my health is not good, and one attempt would not be sufficient if I happen to be at a doctor visit on the day he attempts to deliver.  If this was a heavy package, some of which I have had since I got wind of this new process, I would not be able to go to that business and carry my package home.

Frankly, I have many stressful health issues right now and am just not in the mood to call UPS just yet and get aggravated.  There has been no mention on the news anywhere about this new policy.  Besides all of this, we a paying for delivery which should at least require the 3 attempts always made in the past for a lot of reasons, before a dropoff anywhere in the delivery area.

Just curious if anyone else has heard of this new "so far not advertised" policy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New UPS Delivery Procedures

gosh if I do ,that will be the end of my ,"online shopping"

Respected Contributor

I was as shocked as you when Amazon did this. I was told the shipper can request this( to save $). 

Upon further research I found it to be a UPS setting, by default, if I am remembering correctly, if you sign up for 

automatic notifications. I sign up for email notification by UPS for each individual package.

I don't believe it is up to the drivers' discretion.

Hope your health issues improve.

Honored Contributor

Have talked with my regular UPS driver/his fill in when he is on vacation, and weekend deliveries from amazon. None of them has mentioned anything that ridiculous. Isn't a big business around us for miles, and nothing said here makes any kind of business sense. Sounds like f*k* news to me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Contributor

My DD was telling me about this just last week.  I believe it has been happening for awhile now. She is young and does a lot of online shopping.  Since she works and her building is difficult for UPS to enter, she has to go to the drop off or have some packages sent to me!  I did not really get this until now!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tee hee

@hckynut

Frequent Contributor

Do you have to sign for every ups package you receive?  If so, ask the driver for a pad of delivery notices, sign the back & tape to your door. They will leave pkg. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't run into this situation yet, hope I don't..........online shopping is becoming a bummer.

Honored Contributor

this isnt being done in our area as far as i know of.

we have a great UPS driver and he leaves items at our front door or in our garage if our garage is open.

i posted in customer care today about two items that i ordered earlier. they gave me the option of how i wanted my items delivered. i almost always prefer to have my items be delivered via UPS. they have the least amount of problems.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@LogoFan wrote:

I live in Chicago Illinois and have recently learned of new UPS handling of home delivery.

I spoke to a driver today who delivered a QVC package.  Asked him about some notices I have seen regarding dropoff of packages at an access point which is a business a few blocks from where I live.

He basically told me that it makes more sense to dropoff my package at this local business if I do not accept delivery on first attempt.  He was not clear on whether or not this applies to all deliveries because he said something about "potential" drop off on the package I just received.  He was just not clear.

I told him that my health is not good, and one attempt would not be sufficient if I happen to be at a doctor visit on the day he attempts to deliver.  If this was a heavy package, some of which I have had since I got wind of this new process, I would not be able to go to that business and carry my package home.

Frankly, I have many stressful health issues right now and am just not in the mood to call UPS just yet and get aggravated.  There has been no mention on the news anywhere about this new policy.  Besides all of this, we a paying for delivery which should at least require the 3 attempts always made in the past for a lot of reasons, before a dropoff anywhere in the delivery area.

Just curious if anyone else has heard of this new "so far not advertised" policy.

I don't think this is new, maybe they are expanding it and making it mandatory.

When I order something to be sent to my home, I expect to find it on my doorstep.  My UPS carrier always leaves my packages on my front steps.  I'm never home.

Do you request that you sign for your packages?  If not, why can't they leave it?  Or is that what I"m missing?