Honored Contributor

New Study - One in fifty people will find love on an airplane

We all see the movies (A Perfect Stranger) and TV shows, but have you or anyone you've ever known experienced this? 

I used to fly a lot; now I do sometimes. I always talk a little to the person next to me, but only if they want to talk. I did fly some when I was single. I saw some cute guys, but never got to sit next to them! 

According to a study by HNSB bank, one in fifty people meet their SO's on a plane. Interesting! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: New Study - One in fifty people will find love on an airplane

"A trip to the moon on gossamer wings, just one of those things" - Cole Porter

Honored Contributor

A coworker met a girl on a plane.  They had a long distance relationship for a while, then he quit his job and moved in with her.  He was in CT and she in AR.  Nobody's heard from him since.

I've flown quite a bit and haven't come across anyone who looked like they had a connection.  I was on two flights yesterday.  Sat next to a lady on the first flight.  She wasn't into small talk.  Second flight was a man.  Not a peep out of him.

Honored Contributor

Wonder if they were married or single at the time they found love?

I used to fly a lot for business.

Once on a flight to Tampa a man was really working his charm on me.

I was married, he was kind of cute.

I wasn't interested and I didn't encourage him.

It was just amusing, short flight

I handed him by business card when we landed

Never heard from him.   Didn't want to.

It was my way of calling his bluff.

Esteemed Contributor

One of my husband's good friends (a tenured professor) met a woman on a return flight. Both were divorced with adult children (or kids away at college). They had a delightful conversation; began dating and were married within six or eight months. We had some great times with them as a couple during the first few years.

Fast-forward about five years. The marriage was showing signs of cracks. Her furniture was still in the garage! He would travel without her. When she traveled to visit her children, he didn't pick up anything in the home. He didn't say anything to my husband about issues. She said plenty . . . and I barely knew her! It was awkward. We decided to cease going out with them as a couple. Just the guys would play golf for a couple of years. Then, my husband passed away in 2005. He came to the service alone.   

The next thing I knew, he was retiring and moving from Nebraska - alone. He moved to Tennessee and I receive holiday greetings each year. Heard they had divorced, but don't know when. He owned their home and she continued to live it in for a few more years. It's now been sold. Have no idea if she has remarried again, moved out-of-state to be closer to her adult children or is renting here.

He doesn't ever want to marry again. Says it cost him too much the second time around. He and Wife #1 parted on nice (not friendly) terms and were able to treat each other with kindness in public. I didn't ask questions when he was in town and we had dinner a couple of times. Don't care about Wife #2. He seems much happier! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I know a couple who met on a plane.   They were both older. both had lost spouses, both had grown up in one area but moved to another.  They exchanged numbers before leaving the plane because they had enjoyed their conversation so much.  And then - there was silence!  She never heard from him and was upset enough to mention it to a friend who encouraged her to invite him to a dinner party she was planning.

It's not something that a woman of her age would have done in the past, but she did call, did find out he had lost her number, and did learn that yes, he did want to come to dinner.  Love developed and a marriage occurred.  Sometimes truth does sound just like fiction!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter,

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like on
Jupiter and Mars
. . . 

Written by Bart Howard and sung by old blue eyes, Frank Sinatra

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

"A trip to the moon on gossamer wings, just one of those things" - Cole Porter

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

We all see the movies (A Perfect Stranger) and TV shows, but have you or anyone you've ever known experienced this? 

I used to fly a lot; now I do sometimes. I always talk a little to the person next to me, but only if they want to talk. I did fly some when I was single. I saw some cute guys, but never got to sit next to them! 

According to a study by HNSB bank, one in fifty people meet their SO's on a plane. Interesting! Smiley Happy

@beach-mom  Only man I met on a plane tried to grope me! 😳

Super Contributor

Never! Planes are claustrophobic, dirty and smelly. I never feel sexy, clean, smart or witty on planes. I just want to get it over with. Talking to other passengers is not what I ever want to do. I've flown for business frequently and in all classes and have always just wanted to get it over with. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been hit on by creepy men before while on an airplane, but I've never met anyone that I'd be remotely interested in having any kind of relationship beyond polite, sporadic conversation during the flight.

The creepers approach was always the same -

"Do you fly alot? I fly alot. I fly so much that I get upgraded all the time. I have XXXXXXX miles on this airline and they always upgrade me. I'm a Silver Elite. Do you know what that is? It means I fly alot. I even have a special phone number to call where they take care of whatever I want. Let me buy you a drink."

Ummm, ok sparky. Drinks are free up front. And yes, I fly alot. More than you. Enjoy your flight. And then on go the headphones. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~