Honored Contributor

Re: New Signs at most stores (re: pets)

@Spurt Ole buddy... I hate to break it to you, but small service horses are becoming quite common... Of course, most folks with any sense limit themselves to the 'dwarf' sized horses... Just imagine expecting 'staff' to provide 'treats' and then to clean up after Trigger...

Smiley Surprised

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Thank God I don't fly LOL

People are dumber then box of rocks

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Pook wrote:

A properly trained and certified emotional support dog is considered a service dog and there are many of those!  They would have the qualifying vest and paperwork carried in the vest!

That might be true in some localities but definitely not all and many places have cut out "emotional support" animals altogether.  Good grief, the vests and paperwork could be purchased online like a pair of shoes...LOL

While you may be able to get fake documents online, the vest is different also and the paperwork has to show legitimate certification which is way different than those from online.  There are many who need that help (especially veterans with PTSD who have a difficult time functioning after coming back).  Who would be so heartless to begrudge a legitimate support dog for those who have trouble functioning on their own due to emotional issues - especially vets who fought for our country??  Emotional support is necessary also for those who cannot leave their house but once they received a trained support dog they can live a more normal life.  This happens to those with PTSD a lot.  It is a legitimate handicap.  Several veterans in my area have them for their PTSD.

I would sooner see dogs in stores than wild, smelly dirty kids!!!  

You might not be able to buy 'official service animal' vests widely, but you can buy 'emotional support' vests at will... And some merchants and their employees aren't initially going to know the difference... 

As for the rest, veteran or not, if anyone is so dysfunctional that they can't go out in public without 'support' then get a certified, registered service animal, but don't expect the world to hold its collective breath simply because you feel better with your 'comfort' hound dog at your side...

I do agree, I'd often rather see dogs in stores than some unsocialized children and, for that matter, unsocialized people of all ages... 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt Ole buddy... I hate to break it to you, but small service horses are becoming quite common... Of course, most folks with any sense limit themselves to the 'dwarf' sized horses... Just imagine expecting 'staff' to provide 'treats' and then to clean up after Trigger...

Smiley Surprised

@stevieb

I live in Texas and haven't heard of that....I learn something new everyday.....Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt Here you go... an item about 'guide horses'... but again, they are miniature... And very cute...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_horse

Image result for miniature horse service animal

Honored Contributor

Our store put up the sign a few months ago. Before that I saw non-service dogs there quite often. The last dog I saw was a large German shephard on a leash.

I have had and loved dogs forever and would never think to take them to a supermarket. We would considert only places where they are welcome. And even then, I think twice about it.

Need to add that I am categorically opposed to any comparisons between pets and children/people. In fact, it actually offends me as a human. Usually I take such comments as mere rhetoric, but I have discovered that that's not always the case.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

worms

Image result for dogs bare butt rubbing on floor gif

****** gland infection had a boxer that did that all the time

Vet has to clean out the gland. I finally got rid of the dog (kept outside) cost to much to run to vet every week.

@SharkE, from this post, it sounds as if caring for a dog is not up your alley. Hopefully, you found a good home where the dog was welcome and treated for such an uncomfortable medical condition.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Our store put up the sign a few months ago. Before that I saw non-service dogs there quite often. The last dog I saw was a large German shephard on a leash.

I have had and loved dogs forever and would never think to take them to a supermarket. We would considert only places where they are welcome. And even then, I think twice about it.

Need to add that I am categorically opposed to any comparisons between pets and children/people. In fact, it actually offends me as a human. Usually I take such comments as mere rhetoric, but I have discovered that that's not always the case.

To clarify, what I mean by comparing humans to dogs is not the little things like babies as opposed to dogs in shopping carts but to those who seem incapable or unwilling to see the overall difference between animals and humans.

Of course we should all be stewards of wildlife and domestic animals in our actions and our contributions.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Pook wrote:

A properly trained and certified emotional support dog is considered a service dog and there are many of those!  They would have the qualifying vest and paperwork carried in the vest!

That might be true in some localities but definitely not all and many places have cut out "emotional support" animals altogether.  Good grief, the vests and paperwork could be purchased online like a pair of shoes...LOL

While you may be able to get fake documents online, the vest is different also and the paperwork has to show legitimate certification which is way different than those from online.  There are many who need that help (especially veterans with PTSD who have a difficult time functioning after coming back).  Who would be so heartless to begrudge a legitimate support dog for those who have trouble functioning on their own due to emotional issues - especially vets who fought for our country??  Emotional support is necessary also for those who cannot leave their house but once they received a trained support dog they can live a more normal life.  This happens to those with PTSD a lot.  It is a legitimate handicap.  Several veterans in my area have them for their PTSD.

I would sooner see dogs in stores than wild, smelly dirty kids!!!  

You might not be able to buy 'official service animal' vests widely, but you can buy 'emotional support' vests at will... And some merchants and their employees aren't initially going to know the difference... 

As for the rest, veteran or not, if anyone is so dysfunctional that they can't go out in public without 'support' then get a certified, registered service animal, but don't expect the world to hold its collective breath simply because you feel better with your 'comfort' hound dog at your side...

I do agree, I'd often rather see dogs in stores than some unsocialized children and, for that matter, unsocialized people of all ages... 

That is what I stated - you can get a fullly trained and certified service dog for emotional support issues!!!  Some, I guess, need to learn how to understand the written word!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Should have to wear vest which means it is trained and certified.  I sad with an owner and a dog on a flight.  No real problem but I do believe the lady brought her PET.  She claimed it calmed her down on the airplane.  Personally it was me who calmed her down.  As the plane was descending she got frazzled and wanted to know if the plane was in trouble.  I had to  explain to her that in order for the aircraft to land we had to drop in altitude.  Heck perhaps I should have had a vest.  Otherwise no real problem I like dogs.