Honored Contributor

New Signs at most stores (re: pets)

A while back there was a thread about dogs/cats/etc. in stores that WERE NOT service animals.

I love pets as much as the next person but I don't want them eating samples at our deli counter while I'm there ... grosses me out!  Sometimes I see people ask for a sample then "ask the dog" do you like it???  Ugh...

Some people in our area have really pushed the limit on the "law" ... and mgt. doesn't address it because they don't want to "signal people out" or be "wrong".

Today I noticed this NEW signage going into our local WM (which I will add is mostly where I see dogs roaming on leashes of course) they also had the same style sign when I went into Publix today.  

IMG_2146.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: New Signs at most stores (re: pets)

Congratulations to stores that have taken this stand but they are still going to have to be willing to enforce it.  I shop at Walmart iften but have only seen a dog in the store once.  A women had a large German Shepherd puppy in her basket.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen the sign around here, but I'd go out of my way to support businesses that had it.  The comfort / emotional support thing has gone too far.

Esteemed Contributor

But...but...but aren’t they ALL service animals...and with the fake documents to prove it?

I wonder if businesses make a distinction between service and “emotional support” animals. 

It’s nice they’re making an effort, but I think it will be hard to enforce in some cases.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Note too the caveat that 'comfort and emotional support animals are NOT service animals'.... I hope they can make that stick... This has become utter nonsense...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

A properly trained and certified emotional support dog is considered a service dog and there are many of those!  They would have the qualifying vest and paperwork carried in the vest!

Honored Contributor

I think it's going to be difficult to determine what is a true service animal from one that is not.

A true service animal will not be in the shopping cart or a purse or in a doggie stroller.  

At least some stores are taking a stand...

Super Contributor

I was happy to see the same sign at my local Walmart.  

Honored Contributor

You can easily spot a true service dog.  Saw two on recent flights.  Hopefully those that do not have one recognize the signage is for them. 

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

You can easily spot a true service dog.  Saw two on recent flights.  Hopefully those that do not have one recognize the signage is for them. 

My guess is that those with little Foo-foo tucked into a bag and a store-bought emotional support vest will ignore the sign and then, if confronted (which is doubtful) will claim they simply assumed it couldn't POSSIBLY apply to them...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...