Honored Contributor

Re: New Shringrex shot for shingles

@chlema wrote:

I'm on the waitlist at my local market.  I am on medicare and also part D.  They quoted me a price of $66 each for the new vaccine - if it ever comes in.

@chlema, that’s a bargain, I got my shot yesterday, part 2 and was covered by my insurance. The pharmacist said each shot was $170. My arm is so sore, also I feel nauseous, light headed, and my back hurts. I wonder if these are some symptoms from the shot.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone know why they aren't delivering the shot in the buttocks? All these reports of lingering sore arms are disconcerting.

I'm waiting until enough people have taken it to see what side effects and AEs emerge with a bigger group than the test population. Can't take the live vaccine.

Honored Contributor

CDC:  What Everyone Should Know about Shingles Vaccine (Shingrix)

(includes info about side-effects)

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html

Honored Contributor

The Shingrix vaccine has been suggested to my husband and I, and we will take it, but feel no sense of urgency to do so.  

My mother is not receptive to this new vaccine.   She had shingles, then took the Zostavax shot.   Mom is almost a recluse at home now, and if she decides she wants the new shot, I will see that she gets it, but I will not insist she take it at this point.     

Honored Contributor

I read that the CDC is suggesting that only those who have not had the zostravax get the shingrex for now , due to limited availability.

Honored Contributor

I got the first dose of the Shringrex vaccine June 24 at CVS. Well I went back at the beginning of September to get the second shot, it was on backorder. They think they're getting it on October 1, it is first come first serve no waitlist. I called Walgreens on Thursday, they had it and I made a beeline to the store! They have a policy of putting aside the vaccine for those who got the first one, I was lucky I was able to get it. If you get the second vaccine somewhere other than you got the first one, be sure you bring proof of the first vaccine or they can call the pharmacy to confirm ( they won't take your word for it). I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but on Friday I didn't feel well, I was nauseous, achy, light headed, and had stomach pains ( my arm is sore too but that happened last time also). I'm just glad I got the vaccine because you only have a 2-6 month window to get it.

Respected Contributor

@OKPrincess

Good luck!  I refer to Medicare as Medicrap.  

True story, when my husband was in college after a stint in the Marine Corps.  We were married during his time in college.  This was in the late 1960's before college students were eligible for food stamps and prior to Medicaid.  During the 3 years, we had 2 babies and were able to pay both the doctor and hospital bills out of pocket.  Mecical insurance was a rarity!  I never saw people laying in the street because they couldn't obtain treatment.  

Then Medicare and Medicaid became available and, prices for medical care increased.  Today people say, " I couldn't afford to be sick without any medical insurance".  However, once everyone or nearly everyone paid for medical care out of pocket.  I believe the prevalence of medical insurance caused costs to increase.  My orthopedic Dr. is in a large practice;  he told me they have 75 people on staff just to handle insurance claims, etc.  The cost of that alone increases the price of care.  

I wish we had a choice when we were young to sign up for Medicare or choose a medical savings plan we'd pay with every pay check.  We hear a lot about "choice", but in this case we must pay for Medicare.  The very wealthy can afford to have Medicare payments taken and also purchase private insurance.  Most of us can't afford that. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Charlie Bear wrote:

I was told that the vaccine is paid for through your Part D if on Medicare. She said the previous vaccine was only 30% effective. Asked why the shortage and was told only one pharmaceutical company produces it. My physician strongly recommended that I get one. 

Seems to be conflicting reports about Medicare coverage for this vaccine. I'm not on Medicare but I asked my pharmacist if Medicare paid for it and he said not entirely and that would depend on your plan.  I believe at one time Part D covered the old vaccine, Zostavax, but not 100% of the new Shingrix. There is some confusion about doctor-ordered vaccines and the billing process that goes through Part D. I am not familiar about that at all. What is important is to make sure you have an insurance plan that covers the vaccine and that the pharmacy who gives the shot falls under that plan.

Difficult for us seniors to afford the new vaccine if we do not have Medicare part D. Hubby and I have A and B, but we have drug coverage through his former employer which is cheaper and more complete coverage than Part D. However, our drug plan will not pay for vaccines, claiming it’s Medicare’s job to do so. Shingrix would cost us about $180 per shot and, since we need a total of 4 shots, the cost would be $720, maybe more if there is charge to administer shot. This is ridiculous for seniors. Since CDC and FDA recommend Shingrix it should be covered by any and all drug plans or by Medicare Part B. Medicare only wants to pay for the cheapie vaccines like flu and pneumonia. 

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Charlie Bear wrote:

I was told that the vaccine is paid for through your Part D if on Medicare. She said the previous vaccine was only 30% effective. Asked why the shortage and was told only one pharmaceutical company produces it. My physician strongly recommended that I get one. 

Seems to be conflicting reports about Medicare coverage for this vaccine. I'm not on Medicare but I asked my pharmacist if Medicare paid for it and he said not entirely and that would depend on your plan.  I believe at one time Part D covered the old vaccine, Zostavax, but not 100% of the new Shingrix. There is some confusion about doctor-ordered vaccines and the billing process that goes through Part D. I am not familiar about that at all. What is important is to make sure you have an insurance plan that covers the vaccine and that the pharmacy who gives the shot falls under that plan.

Difficult for us seniors to afford the new vaccine if we do not have Medicare part D. Hubby and I have A and B, but we have drug coverage through his former employer which is cheaper and more complete coverage than Part D. However, our drug plan will not pay for vaccines, claiming it’s Medicare’s job to do so. Shingrix would cost us about $180 per shot and, since we need a total of 4 shots, the cost would be $720, maybe more if there is charge to administer shot. This is ridiculous for seniors. Since CDC and FDA recommend Shingrix it should be covered by any and all drug plans or by Medicare Part B. Medicare only wants to pay for the cheapie vaccines like flu and pneumonia. 

My part D insurance covers it - but they made it a tier 4 drug so first I have a deductible to meet at tier 4 - and these 2 shots don't meet it , so I still had to pay full price out of pocket for it. that is how they get around it.

Regular Contributor

I had both doses---the first in May and the second in July.  I had to pay $42 for each shot. I've also had the Prevnar 13 and now my doctor wants me to have the t-dap. It's never ending. Oh yes I had the senior flu shot last week!