Honored Contributor

Re: New Prince Louis Arthur Charles

Whenever I hear the nickname "D_____," I cannot help but think of the film The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon.  If you've never seen it, I highly recommend it.  Love the views in Italy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZX-iRrcNWY

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I guess the story that came out a day or two ago about "Albert" was incorrect.  Maybe the Royal Family was having a little fun with their subjects.

I never did see Albert in the news, I only saw it here.  But, it's likely that if Albert came out before the big announcement; they canceled that went with option 2.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

so.....it made me wonder......why was Prince Philips uncle  Louis (Battenberg) Mountbatten called Dickie......

Born Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas 

seems Queen Victoria gets some credit for the Dickie nick....

Young Mountbatten's nickname among family and friends was "Dickie", although "Richard" was not among his given names. This was because his great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, had suggested the nickname of "Nicky", but to avoid confusion with the many Nickys of the Russian Imperial Family "Nicky" was changed to "Dickie".

(taken from Wiki)

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

cherry,

For some reason, I think the time for calling Richards that particular nickname has passed.  I believe the crest for its usage occurred during the 1940s and '50s, but that is just a guess on my part.  A first cousin had that name, and we grew up calling him that nickname (no longer, of course).

At one time, many very wealthy men seemed to be called that nickname.

Now with that nickname's pejorative meaning (even in the diminutive), I think Louis is safely Louis.  Also, Brits being Brits, I think they will anglicize the pronunciation to "Lewis," don't you think?

We too had a couple of D*ckies in the family who have gone back to Richard or Rich.  Imagine poor D*ick van Dy ke, what a name to be saddled with!

I think Louis will be pronounced the French way.  One of William's middle names is Louis and he pronounced it the French way when saying his vows.

Honored Contributor

Awful name... Nice of them to keep paying homage to the French kings, though... As for nods to the non-British royal Mountbattens, really, haven't there already been enough... Arthur's all right but there's already one too many Charles... Poor Kate, I guess she got the memo... All of her children had to be named to suit her inlaws... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I saw that chart the other day and was wondering...why do Anne's children not have titles?  

Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy    Peter and Zara - Anne's children - were not entitled, by birth, to royal status.  Titles handed down by Queen/Monarch through sons not daughters!  The Queen offered courtesy titles to Anne's children which she declined.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @dulwich.  I knew you would know if you saw the question Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb  Tradition to keep using the same names....just shifting the order.  No "Apple" in the bunch!

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I guess the story that came out a day or two ago about "Albert" was incorrect.  Maybe the Royal Family was having a little fun with their subjects.

I never did see Albert in the news, I only saw it here.  But, it's likely that if Albert came out before the big announcement; they canceled that went with option 2.  

LOL, no it isn't.  They didn't just name him this morning.  They announced the name he'd been given at birth.

It is funny if the web designer did that on purpose as a red herring though!