Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Prince Louis Arthur Charles

When I hear the name Louis, I think of all those French kings.

Respected Contributor

Louis ... sorry, my least favorite name for this child.

Perhaps because I never liked that song from the Kingsmen, Louie, Louie.

Trusted Contributor

Seabreeze, no offense intended but I LOVE that goofy song. When my family moved to the Seattle area in...1986, I think it was...there was a campaign to make Louie Louie the state song. I'm not pulling your leg, either; we saw television ads in favor of it.

My DH and I looked at each other and said, Is this for real? (We had just moved here from San Diego because of a job change.) What have we gotten ourselves into? (This was less than a month into our new home state.)

Evidently the campaign really was for real but it failed; I don't know if Washington state has a state song but if it does, it's NOT Louie Louie, much to my disappointment (I love goofiness).

How about that little princess Charlotte? I'll bet she's a handful--in a good way. She sure is cute but I think I can see a little sparkle of mischeviouness in those little eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri63 wrote:

I was so wrong.  LOL

Is it pronounced Lou-ee or Lou-is?

They are pronouncing it as Loo-eee.

Honored Contributor

Lord Louis was called D*ckie by the family, so it is possible the tot will also be called D*ckie

Honored Contributor

Hey, one of my guesses was "Louis", because of Charles' devotion to Mountbatten!

But it was a pretty easy guess, since they've been using up the other likely names at a fairly rapid clip!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Hey, one of my guesses was "Louis", because of Charles' devotion to Mountbatten!

But it was a pretty easy guess, since they've been using up the other likely names at a fairly rapid clip!

@Oznell   actually i would have thought it was a long shot since "Louis" is part of Prince George's name, George Alexander Louis.  i thought they covered that base already!

Honored Contributor

cherry,

For some reason, I think the time for calling Richards that particular nickname has passed.  I believe the crest for its usage occurred during the 1940s and '50s, but that is just a guess on my part.  A first cousin had that name, and we grew up calling him that nickname (no longer, of course).

At one time, many very wealthy men seemed to be called that nickname.

Now with that nickname's pejorative meaning (even in the diminutive), I think Louis is safely Louis.  Also, Brits being Brits, I think they will anglicize the pronunciation to "Lewis," don't you think?

Honored Contributor

@golding76  I really don't think they will. Brits are big on tradition, if that is the was it was done ,that is usually the way they do it, still

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Could be, cherry.

Oh brother, hold tight for that usage.

My error (I'm stuck on that nick; you are referencing "Louis," correct?  Gotcha!)