Valued Contributor

@shoesnbags   Thank you!!

Respected Contributor

Hi Judy0330.   Hope you haven't left yet, but I had a couple of days of staying in bed with somebody's bug.  Anyway, not much is different from my first post to you.  It is rather chilly here today - a cold front arrived last night.  Right now it's 50 here at 6:00 P.M. on Sunday, but the rain is leaving and it should warm up.  The temps tomorrow should range from the high 50's to 70 tomorrow (4/1/19).  On Tuesday the temps should be 62 at night to 70 during the day, and on Wednesday 60 at night to 74 during the day. So far no rain is predicted for the next few days.  I hope your stay here will be safe and fun.  There is lots to do anad see here, but do remember to stay in the highly populated areas. No side streets, please.

Valued Contributor

@Perkup  Thanks so much!!  It looks like it will be cool our first few days and then warm up.  We are really looking forward to the trip!  I will tell you about it when we come home.  I hope you are feeling better!  Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

Re: New Orleans Weather

[ Edited ]

@Perkup  We had a great week in New Orleans!  Great food (Commander's Palace was our favorite restaurant) -- discovered beignets (perhaps the world's most perfect food!) -- saw and did an incredible amount.  The WWII Museum was fantastic -- we loved walking around the French Quarter and Garden District -- we did a swamp boat tour -- and went flight seeing on a float plane.  We went to a demonstration and lunch at the New Orleans School of Cooking and had Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens.  We went to a concert at Preservation Hall.  We went to Mardi Gras World -- which I thoguht would be stupid but it was actually very interesting to see the floats and learn about how they are made -- especially having gone to a similar place in Rio de Janiero to see the floats and learn more about Carnivale.  

We visited two plantations and stayed on one for two nights.  We were not as happy with the plantation accommodations as we were with the hotels we stayed at in New Orleans -- The Monteleone (we had drinks at the Carousel Bar) and The Ritz Carlton.  (We stayed at the plantation in between two stays in New Orleans.)  We went to Baton Rouge to the Old State Capitol (what a building!) and learned a lot more than we already knew about Huey Long.  The only negative on the trip was the day we had 4" of rain and got totally soaked -- but that was nothing compared with a week of lots of fun and wonderful food!  I would go back in a heartbeat!!

We were home for a few days and then went to NY for several nights to meet my stepson and family who came from Chicago for the kids' spring break.  I have to laugh.  We went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with them -- two places I had never been -- having lived my whole life in NY/NJ/CT.  It's crazy how frequently it happens that we don't visit the iconic places right in our own backyards!

Respected Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@Perkup  We had a great week in New Orleans!  Great food (Commander's Palace was our favorite restaurant) -- discovered beignets (perhaps the world's most perfect food!) -- saw and did an incredible amount.  The WWII Museum was fantastic -- we loved walking around the French Quarter and Garden District -- we did a swamp boat tour -- and went flight seeing on a float plane.  We went to a demonstration and lunch at the New Orleans School of Cooking and had Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens.  We went to a concert at Preservation Hall.  We went to Mardi Gras World -- which I thoguht would be stupid but it was actually very interesting to see the floats and learn about how they are made -- especially having gone to a similar place in Rio de Janiero to see the floats and learn more about Carnivale.  

We visited two plantations and stayed on one for two nights.  We were not as happy with the plantation accommodations as we were with the hotels we stayed at in New Orleans -- The Monteleone (we had drinks at the Carousel Bar) and The Ritz Carlton.  (We stayed at the plantation in between two stays in New Orleans.)  We went to Baton Rouge to the Old State Capitol (what a building!) and learned a lot more than we already knew about Huey Long.  The only negative on the trip was the day we had 4" of rain and got totally soaked -- but that was nothing compared with a week of lots of fun and wonderful food!  I would go back in a heartbeat!!

We were home for a few days and then went to NY for several nights to meet my stepson and family who came from Chicago for the kids' spring break.  I have to laugh.  We went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with them -- two places I had never been -- having lived my whole life in NY/NJ/CT.  It's crazy how frequently it happens that we don't visit the iconic places right in our own backyards!

@judy0330I think I was there the same time as you - it was my fourth time there.  I've done most of what you did other times while there.  This time we walked a lot.  We bought a pass for the Hop On/Hop Off (have done that many other places we've gone and it's always worked out well).  Totally not worth it in New Orleans - the buses would all come full and there was always a long line waiting to get on - could barely use it.  Never had that issue other cities - knowing this happens you'd think they would run more buses more often - mostly ended up hailing cabs instead.

We also went to a cooking demo at the N.O. School of Cooking - we did the demo, not the interactive and that was really fun.  And I agree with you about the things in your own backyard you rarely visit.  I'm in the burbs of DC and I rarely go to sites there anymore.  We went to some of the restaurants in your post and another I really liked  which is not fancy was Willie Mae's Scotch House for their chicken.  We had to try 3 times before we got in and to do so, a cabbie told us you have to go Tues or Wed and get there by 3pm.  First try there was a line snaking all around the place and they said it'd be an hour and a half wait.  Second time, shorter line but still long.  Fun trip!

Valued Contributor

@Financialgrl  Yes -- definitely a fun city!!  I forgot to mention MS Rau.  A friend had told us about it.  Have you been there?  It is an "antiques store" -- but better than many museums we have visited.  Things like an armoire that belonged to Peter the Great --George Washington artifacts -- a $10M blue diamond ring.  Really incredible finds.  They also have a "secret room" where they will take you if you ask.  That is where the have most of their artwork.  Degas sculptures -- etc -- etc.  Amazing place!