Honored Contributor

Re: New Orleans, Louisiana be like

I read that book written by a former presidents niece and there was no love lost between her and another wife.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

should be about time for their annual hurricane. I wouldn't live there for all the tea in China.

@SharkE I have spent a lot of time there and in other parts of the south, and I'll take it ANY day over the frozen north's long winters and ice, snow and mud!  Woman Very Happy

@Sooner I'd rather be where it's cold. When it's hot, you can only take so much off to cool down, but you can pile on as many layers as you want to warm up if you're cold!

@Ladybug724 Ice, snow, snow removal, shivveing, freezing, slipping and sliding, wet shoes for months?  No way for this girl! Woman Surprised  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

should be about time for their annual hurricane. I wouldn't live there for all the tea in China.

@SharkE I have spent a lot of time there and in other parts of the south, and I'll take it ANY day over the frozen north's long winters and ice, snow and mud!  Woman Very Happy

@Sooner I'd rather be where it's cold. When it's hot, you can only take so much off to cool down, but you can pile on as many layers as you want to warm up if you're cold!

@Ladybug724 Ice, snow, snow removal, shivveing, freezing, slipping and sliding, wet shoes for months?  No way for this girl! Woman Surprised  

@Sooner I grew up in NJ and have lived in NY for forty years(among many other places). and it's rarely like you describe. For some snowstorms, yes, but there aren't that many. Of course more northern states it can be different.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I suffer from migraines & humidity is my worse enemy. 

My first trip to N.O. was in July. & I was very concerned.  So much so, I was going to cancel.  The best investment I've ever made for the trip was this hat.......

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at Fri, Jul 15, 2022-11.30.35 AM.pngfrom LLBean.  It is L.L.Bean UPF 50+.   The whole 2 weeks, I never sweated & best of all not one migraine nor any of its symptoms/warnings.  Believe me, you could have cut the humidity w/a knife.  Oh, I never had to use the neck flap.  I kept it tucked into its pocket at the top of the hat.

The hat caused me to have a very memorable trip.  I've worn it on all of my later NO trips in July & August.

**The hat was highly recommended from my nurologist.**

So it's just a flap there.  I thought it was a bag that could hold ice.  But in that kind of heat, it would melt in no time.  

Esteemed Contributor

Ouch!!  All I can say is that if you go to Chicago in the winter, you can expect miserable cold.  If you come to NOLA in the summer, you can expect miserable humidity and heat.  So don't head somewhere during the worst season of the year and expect to be comfortable doing outdoor things. 

This is a tropical climate and in the summer we stay indoors in the AC as much as possible - just as many of you stay indoors during the winter months.  But in January when many of you are shivering we're usually enjoying sunny temperate weather. 

It's just a matter of your own individual body as to whether you prefer heat or cold.  My body cannot tolerate cold.  I can't breathe properly outside in dry cold air, and my sinuses hurt like crazy inside in heated air.  So although I don't like extreme heat or cold, I can be very happy in a hot climate as long as I have AC.  In a cold climate, I'm miserable no matter whether I'm inside or outside.  Can't win.  And I like that heat & humidity doesn't have to be shoveled, and you won't slip and break a hip on it, either.

If you don't like heat, come to NOLA in October through April.  And if you come in the Summer, don't say you weren't warned!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac I too am a migraine sufferer: dehydrated, lack of sleep, artificial sweeteners, and bright light for sure!   My best prevention is the dark gray Maui Jim Sunglasses.        They are absolutely musts for me.  They are any other sunglasses for preventing migraines. 

My husband was skeptical until we were in a store on vacation and a woman came in saying "OH THANK GOD you sell Maui Jim's they keep me from having migraine headaches!!!!"  She had lost hers and was desperate.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  Thanks.  I checked out their website & did not see any Maui Jim Sunglasses that fits over prescription glasses.  I sent them an email asking the above.

I wear prescription glasses w/transition lens.  So far they have served me well except when I am in my car.  The glare is so bad from the windshield that I wear the dark sunglasses the eye doctors give you when you get eye drops or cataract surgery.  They fit right over my prescription glasses.  I call them my Ray Charles glasses.  They never leave my car.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate humidity.  So many suffer with it in the summer time .... I wish we could suck all that east coast moisture out of the air, funnel it into a massive pipeline and send it to the agricultural area of California and end the drought.  We really need the water.

Honored Contributor

I love NOLA because I love to eat but I am always happy to return to the cool PNW. 

Honored Contributor

Isn't that normal weather for this time of the year in New Orleans?  It's why we've never been despite wanting to experience it.  We take our vacations in the summer and we know the weather wouldn't make for a great time.