Valued Contributor

Re: New Opioid Policy from my Health Network

A Delaware County doctor convicted of using his practice to illegally sell prescriptions is heading to prison.

Sixty-one-year-old Dr. Lawrence Wean of Media, Pennsylvania, was sentenced to 10 to 20 years behind bars on Wednesday.

Wean was found guilty of 99 counts of unlawfully prescribing a controlled substance as well as insurance fraud.

Investigators say Wean charged $200-300 to write them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I worked at the hospital where this Dr. was on staff, and I followed the case as it went to trial. Google his name if you want to know more.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@hyacinth003, let's take the emotion out of your comment and try to figure out why no doctor will allow your daughter to try an opiod for pain.  There has to be a reason.  The doctor on ABC news tonight suggested other options for pain.  I kind of laughed when he said yoga because that would give me pain.

@AuntG

What were the options aside from yoga?

-----------

I'm not sure what the three options were, but they might have been acupuncture, physical therapy and yoga.  

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@hyacinth003, let's take the emotion out of your comment and try to figure out why no doctor will allow your daughter to try an opiod for pain.  There has to be a reason.  The doctor on ABC news tonight suggested other options for pain.  I kind of laughed when he said yoga because that would give me pain.

@AuntG

-----------

I'm not sure what the three options were, but they might have been acupuncture, physical therapy and yoga.  

@AuntG@Noel7

I think massage is another option they mentioned.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG

-----------

@AuntG

I think anyone who has ever suffered severe, unrelenting pain would know those would do nothing.

I've had physical therapy twice for pain, it only made it worse, and I'm good about following instructions. 

I'm not advocating for opioids, I'm advocating for research on what can help. 

I've had Lupus pericarditis four times, it pretty much makes your eyeballs roll around, the pain is so great.  In the hospital, I tried to refuse it, but the nurses said I was crazy and used a needle to give it to me by way of IV... morphine.  The unbelievable pain goes right away.  Luckily, I'm not an addictive person.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG

-----------

I've had two courses of PT which have done zip for my musculoskeletal issues. I felt better for a matter of hours - rarely even 24 - and then back to square one.  Waste of Medicare funds. Yoga for me would need to be chair yoga. Acupuncture I think would help judging by past experience, but of course Medicare doesn't pay for that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

This thread makes me think of the John Prine album and his song, "There's A Hole In Daddy's Arm."

Maybe someone has to know great pain to understand.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Sam Stone" is Prine's song.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Psychiatry has it's place in dealing with chronic pain.

IE- Stress management can help. When you're in pain, it causes stress that in turn can cause muscles to tense up which increases pain and round and round you go.

Your brain releases chemicals that decrease pain. A psychiatrist is the doc best suited to manage brain chemistry.

Depression can exacerbate pain in several ways.

There are cases of psychosomatic pain, and it is just as severe and "real" as pain from an obvious physical cause. Again, psychiatry can be a blessing.

The mind is a powerful thing. I think it's good policy to include a psychiatrist in the team of professionals who treat chronic pain patients.

Why not use every tool available? Being sent for a psych consult doesn't mean the doc doubts your pain. I understand some people get offended by that, and I wish it wasn't so. The pain center is in the brain, after all. Never know, could help.

Honored Contributor

@garmer wrote:

Psychiatry has it's place in dealing with chronic pain.

IE- Stress management can help. When you're in pain, it causes stress that in turn can cause muscles to tense up which increases pain and round and round you go.

Your brain releases chemicals that decrease pain. A psychiatrist is the doc best suited to manage brain chemistry.

Depression can exacerbate pain in several ways.

There are cases of psychosomatic pain, and it is just as severe and "real" as pain from an obvious physical cause. Again, psychiatry can be a blessing.

The mind is a powerful thing. I think it's good policy to include a psychiatrist in the team of professionals who treat chronic pain patients.

Why not use every tool available? Being sent for a psych consult doesn't mean the doc doubts your pain. I understand some people get offended by that, and I wish it wasn't so. The pain center is in the brain, after all. Never know, could help.

@garmer  You've made some good points.  Mindfulness has been used very successfully for both chronic and short-term pain management.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

"Sam Stone" is Prine's song. 

@Cakers3

Yes, I gave the line to make the message clear.  Sorry that threw you.