Respected Contributor

Re: New Opioid Policy from my Health Network

@software that you for the post.  I now understand the reason for the "pill count".  Some  people get the prescritions and sell them for extra income.

Honored Contributor

This problem was caused by Big Pharma.    The  manufacturers pushed the pills on the doctors and also misled them about their usage.

Some states are suing the pharmacy companies and I've read part of the history of why they are suiing.    It seems they have a good case against the manufacturers.

Several states (Ohio & Missouri) and various cities and counties are suing and you can google it for more information.    It will be interesting cases to follow.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes (underline Sometimes) some elderly patients ask for pain meds for various aches and pains here and there (nothing overly drastic/painful), and sometimes a Tyl*nol works as well, pain-wise.   Just from my observations throughout the years re: people I know. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

My PCP used to have that position.  Now she won't prescribe them at all.  Instead she refers patients that need them to a pain clinic.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too many docs are too free with opiates.  Too many times people sell, or give their prescription to others.  The government has said that these meds are not intended for long term chronic pain.  When docs use them for that, it's kind of a lazy way to treat the patient.  I have no respect for physicians who over use these meds.  My view is if your doc is willing to use them long term on you, he doesn't really have your best interest in mind.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I can understand them needing to crack down on fraud .....  BUT ......   when people with legitimate chronic pain can't get the relief they need, then something has to be done.    

I wasn't thinking about this in terms of fraud, but more of addiction.

If someone is in pain, and needs the meds, they would oblige and sign the paperwork.  

I would think.

I mean, who would/should refuse?

And if it's a chronic pain issue, then a pain management clinic would be the only option.  There, the patient can be treated, monitored, etc. properly.

There are a great many chronic pain sufferers out there who barely manage. They have no desire to become addicted. They monitor themselves to ration their medication, and in many cases take less than they actually need, and don't take medication when they should, out of fear that it will be cut off for no good reason. And that's happening right now.

The govt cares about a "national opioid epidemic." The doctors care about being monitored. Both the govt and now most doctors care far more about the "crisis" of addicted users and being punished for "over"-prescribing, than they care about patients in pain with genuine need.

A lot of "pain management" is basically just suck it up. You get this much medication - after that, here's some useless coping mechanisms to try and take your mind off the pain we know you're going to have but no one's allowed to medicate you for. Good luck.

And honestly, the general public of all ages who has no chronic pain or doesn't know anyone who does, often reacts as if there's no such thing as genuine chronic pain. People must be faking it, people must be weenies, if it hurts too bad, just stop being a big baby and deal. Because...if they haven't experienced it, it isn't true. And everyone exaggerates - except them, of course.

And the same clueless, self-righteous people clutch their pearls at the thought of using medical cannabis - which has none of the negative qualities the govt and its crisis are freaking out about.

You're in pain? Well here, you can have this, but I won't (not can't, but won't) give you any more. Need more for that pain? Too bad, so sad. Is there anything else you could take that would help your pain? Well yes, there is actually - but you can't have that either because it's....well, because...because, that's why. Now shut up and just go hurt.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

Visited my physician today.  Upon leaving his staff asked me if I had received notice of their health system's new opioid policy.  I had not, so they handed me a copy.  I read it and just said "wow".  But they got to do what they got to do.  It read:

"Please be aware that Blah Blah Health Network will be changing the policy of prescribing Opioids.  If you or a family member of our office takes a controlled substance, it will be mandatory for all patients to fill out a new controlled substance agreement, pill counts on all office visits and for urine drug screening.

If any are refused, the patient will be referred to a pain management facility (or you can choose one) and/or psychiatrist.

No opioids will be prescribed by our office if there is a refusal of any part of this policy."

@Allegheny  Are they saying the patient has to hand over their pill bottles so that the PCP can count how many pills were used since the last visit???

Or would this be an assessment based on the urine test to see if the patient had more opiods in their urine than they should have based on the strength of the script and number of pills prescribed???

eta:  Ok-I see some clarification.  Tests to see if the patient is taking the pills as prescribed or taking more than prescribed or not taking enough (selling).

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a liability issue - doctors can get into trouble for over-prescribing these and possibly lose their license or face prosecution.  This network is protecting themselves and their staff.  And a doctor can refer you to a pain clinic to supposedly get the help you need so he is out of the liability loop.

It is similar to why we now have to go to the pharmacy counter to buy sudafed and other similar products, show ID when we buy them, and the amounts we buy tracked.  A real pain for the honest person with a bad cold who just wants to feel better but thank the druggies and Meth producers for that hoop we all have to jump through.

Honored Contributor

My husband recently had gallbladder surgery.

While he was in the hospital, the only pain he had after surgery was from trying to boost himself out of the bed.  He asked the nurse for one tylenol, which was allowable and clearly noted on his chart.  He actually had to fight for it.

The nurse started to argue with him that of course you're in pain, you're refusing the pain meds - Hydrocodone and Hydromorphone - the doctor prescribed for you.

OMG - he asked for the lesser of 3 evils, give it to him as long as it was allowed by the surgeon instead of pushing the heavy duty stuff. 

Honored Contributor

OMGosh, Celtic:  I hesitated to post how sometimes it's very, very difficult to receive the TYl*nol or other OTC products instead. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).