Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Opioid Policy from my Health Network

@Allegheny

I know you've received many responses to your post, but I'd like to throw in this one:

Your physician's office needs to meet with their attorney once again.  The language in that notice is not suitable in the extreme.  You'll note that it indicates "Opioids" then goes on to mention "controlled substance."  An opioid is a controlled substance, but there are many, many controlled substances.  This notice should have included a list of every single controlled substance of interest to the notice.  It cannot be assumed that the patient knows which controlled substance he/she is taking/has been prescribed.

See Torts & Contracts in any first year law school.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

"Sam Stone" is Prine's song. 

@Cakers3

Yes, I gave the line to make the message clear.  Sorry that threw you.

Your capitalization indicated that line was the title of the song, and it isn't.  A lot of people think it is, though.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

"Sam Stone" is Prine's song. 

@Cakers3

Yes, I gave the line to make the message clear.  Sorry that threw you.

Your capitalization indicated that line was the title of the song, and it isn't.  A lot of people think it is, though.

@WenGirl42  Thank you.  It didn't "throw me" and there was no need for that snark.

I posted the real title of the song to discuss, not to cause a problem or correct her or any other silly thing.  It was just a response but lately I've been getting taken to task about not reading enough or causing "surprises"  that I didn't know something or some other ridiculous thing.

DH and I are both very much into music and as such we have a wealth of knowledge about songs and artists.  Cripes.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@sfnative

You made an excellent point.  I also wondered about the directive wording.  The handout wasn't composed by my physician's office, but the health network they are a part of, and I do foresee confusion by their patients and patient's caregivers.

The health network they belong to is one of the two largest networks in Western Pennsylvania.  I am sure this policy will shortly become a news story locally.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@Lucky Charm Pain Management Clinics don't do long term monitoring; that's the fallacy that many fall for when they start at one. It's also why so many become addicted after attending one. There is also the situation that health insurance rarely covers it; I'm waiting for THAT to become a huge issue..... and rightly so.

@SahmIam

I think you are a bit confused.

Pain Management Clinics DO long term management including monitoring for people who have legitimate needs related to proven medical issues which can NOT be dealt with otherwise.

Attending a pain management clinic is NOT why people are addicted to opioids.

Most health insurance DOES in fact cover legitimate Pain Management visits to a licensed center, attached to a hospital and managed by a MD.

It sounds as though your relative was in a Drug Rehab Center, not a Pain Management Center.  Pain Management Centers are associated with hospitals, managed by physicians (usually psychiatrists) who are licensed to write prescriptions, and who investigate charts and medical records to learn WHY the patient has pain that can't be managed any other way.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Garmer: Yes, the brain is powerful, pain-wise.  I've been known to actually feel slightly similar symptoms in the same physical area when someone else close has pain and/or injury. 'Sort of' a physical empathy.    It takes a bit of intentional, mindful relaxation on my part. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@Lucky Charm Pain Management Clinics don't do long term monitoring; that's the fallacy that many fall for when they start at one. It's also why so many become addicted after attending one. There is also the situation that health insurance rarely covers it; I'm waiting for THAT to become a huge issue..... and rightly so.

@SahmIam

I think you are a bit confused.

Pain Management Clinics DO long term management including monitoring for people who have legitimate needs related to proven medical issues which can NOT be dealt with otherwise.

Attending a pain management clinic is NOT why people are addicted to opioids.

Most health insurance DOES in fact cover legitimate Pain Management visits to a licensed center, attached to a hospital and managed by a MD.

It sounds as though your relative was in a Drug Rehab Center, not a Pain Management Center.  Pain Management Centers are associated with hospitals, managed by physicians (usually psychiatrists) who are licensed to write prescriptions, and who investigate charts and medical records to learn WHY the patient has pain that can't be managed any other way.

@Drythe No, I'm NOT confused. You don't know my situation, you don't know anything about what I am qualified to discuss, and you obviously don't know about ALL pain clinics because not ALL pain clinics do long term monitoring NOR do they accept any and all patients who have pain. 

I have nothing more to say to you on the subject.

Respected Contributor

When I hear pain management clinic I think of bad part of town, bad doctors who'll prescribe anyone pain killers. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

When I hear pain management clinic I think of bad part of town, bad doctors who'll prescribe anyone pain killers. 

Whereas I think pretty much the exact opposite.

I may not feel they are all that helpful, but they are the facilities that insurance companies and medical & federal governing bodies prefer be used by patients receiving opioids - hardly sleazy.

I have no doubt, however, that there are facilities masquerading as reputable pain clinics. With the crackdowns, they will start to stand out more and more as they eventually get busted.

if I was in search of a pain clinic, I would look for one affiliated with a major medical center. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

The focus should be on the docs, not on innocent patients.  Most people who abuse make bad decisions going in.  The controls are abuse of old people who naturally have pain.  Hands off old and sick people.