Honored Contributor

Re: New Mexico residents had to prove NM is a U.S. address

@just bee wrote:

@novamc1

Very common, actually.  When we planned to leave California in the '90s and move to Albuquerque, we went to Bank of America to discuss a home loan.  We were informed that they don't do "foreign" loans.

Sometimes I feel like I should carry a map in my pocket along with my lip balm.

@just bee   you see that thread I started just for you, scroll down it's here somewheres LOL

Respected Contributor

@Vivian

I passed along two wooden U.S. state puzzles to my granddaughter a year ago.  They belonged to her Dad and Uncle when they were young.

She's 7 now, and I'm sure she has at least a basic education in state names and where she lives on the U.S. map.  She seemed to have at least a little bit of fun putting them together when I was there.

Esteemed Contributor

OMG, that gave me a good laugh for the day. It is so sad, but so true.

Honored Contributor

SMH

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Vivian...ancient times..you made me chuckle. But yes, omgosh an atlas was a staple in school and at home as well. Geography fascinated me and as a young teen I would order travel maps from travel agencies back in those ancient times. To this day, my adult kids say “ask Mom where that is...she’s a global guru” too bad I couldn’t visit all my travel map spots! 

And I agree that it was ludicrous that this person didn’t know New Mexico was one of the 50 🤭

Honored Contributor

Sadly, this is quite common.  I've even seen it from college graduates.  They ask for Green Cards when people say they are from NM or PR. When I was a training instructor we actually had to train on this to keep our reps from making complete fools of themselves.     

Respected Contributor

New Mexico is the only state that lists USA on it's license plates.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

New Mexico is the only state that lists USA on it's license plates.

@deeva

NM

NM

NM

NM

NM

NM

A couple exceptions...

UNM

NM 100

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Let's face it, just because you happened to graduate from college does not mean you actually know anything about geography or much of anything for that matter, you are just more socially acceptable these days. I remember learning about the states and where they are on the map in grade school. It's sad though that people don't realize PR is a US territory and insult people from there by asking for a passport.

Honored Contributor

Nowdays, countries and their boundries change so often and so drastically, that the atlas people couldn't keep up with them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment