Respected Contributor

New Mexico residents had to prove NM is a U.S. address

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, this routine-but-stymied attempt to obtain a marriage license  would be funny if not true, and it certainly shows why people should never drop out of school before being educated.

https://www.wmur.com/article/couple-denied-marriage-license-after-clerk-says-they-cant-accept-new-me...

Honored Contributor

Re: New Mexico residents had to prove NM is a U.S. address

@novamc1

Very common, actually.  When we planned to leave California in the '90s and move to Albuquerque, we went to Bank of America to discuss a home loan.  We were informed that they don't do "foreign" loans.

Sometimes I feel like I should carry a map in my pocket along with my lip balm.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

This happens all the time.  New Mexico Magazine has a monthly feature where people relate their experiences in a column called "One of Our Fifty is Missing".  The ignorance of the general public is amazing when it comes to geography.  I heard a QVC host describe Brazil as being on the Pacific Coast of South America.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

New Mexico

It's that BIG state between Arizona and Texas.  Where Bugs and Wile E. Coyote live.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This happens all the time.  New Mexico Magazine has a monthly feature where people relate their experiences in a column called "One of Our Fifty is Missing".  The ignorance of the general public is amazing when it comes to geography.  I heard a QVC host describe Brazil as being on the Pacific Coast of South America.

@Kachina624

I love that column.  They never run out of material. Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@just bee@Kachina624

You gotta just laugh at this sort of stuff, because we probably can't fix it.

Honored Contributor

What do they teach in school these days?  We were at the Art Institute the other day.  A group of 9th or 10th graders, I would guess, was viewing the Neopolitan creche at the time.   One of the group asked the docent where Naples was???!!!!  

My husband's goddaugher several years ago said she couldn't go to Hawaii because she didn't have a passport!!

So sad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is very common.  I constantly hear stories about this, because my sister lives there.  I'm surprised you don't hear similar stories of Texas.  At one time Texas was an independent country with their own (President for life) Sam Houston. Texas was a state of Mexico, but they decided to have a little revolution.  Eventually Texas was persuaded to join the Confederate States of America.  After their defeat, they had to be urged, forced, threatened, etc to join the United States of America.  Since then, they periodically threaten to leave anytime they feel like it..  Which is a lot.  They were better as a country. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_secession_movements

I predict they will eventually leave the U.S.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

In my opinion, this routine-but-stymied attempt to obtain a marriage license  would be funny if not true, and it certainly shows why people should never drop out of school before being educated.

----------------

So sad but true!!  But, I have found that some 'educated' people will not ever be informed or knowledgeable!!

Esteemed Contributor

We are geographically ignorant. This can be corrected. In ancient times, when I was in high school, we had to memorize a map of the world. We knew that our NY State exam, called Regents exams, would ask us to fill in the country names of a particular part of the world map. Since we didn’t know what region would be chosen, we had to memorize the entire map of the world.

These days, that knowledge seems to be lacking. Just the other day, an important governmental representative said ‘Good Afternoon’ in his introduction to his audience at 9 am. If he had a bit of geographical knowledge, he would have known what time it was where he was.