Honored Contributor

My mother fell for a phone scam, and she wasn't an idiot, but she did have Alzheimer's

Honored Contributor

No one would fall for something as dumb as that....lol   

Honored Contributor

I really wish they could stop this scam. And, people with memory issues, cognitive impairment, or dementia are not dumb @chrystaltree

Trusted Contributor

@cherrywrote:

My mother fell for a phone scam, and she wasn't an idiot, but she did have Alzheimer's

@cherry I'm so sorry that happened to your dear Mother! I am also sorry your Mother has Alzheimer's, Cherry. Woman Sad  L<3

Honored Contributor

I have not heard of this.  Where did you hear or read of this? Thanks, want to be on the alert.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  You make a very good point.  Aside from someone just making the mistake of not thinking and giving out info, many people can have a somewhat diminished capacity or cognitive abilities due to illness or medication side effects.

It never hurts to have a heads up on these types of scams.

Honored Contributor

@RetRNwrote:

I really wish they could stop this scam. And, people with memory issues, cognitive impairment, or dementia are not dumb @chrystaltree

People who have issues like that wouldn't understand any warnings about a alleged scam like that.  And they shouldn't be in control of or have access to their hospital cards, insurance cards or credit cards.  I don't this scam really exists but if it does, only someone with extreme cognitive impairment would fall for it and it's doubtful that such a person would be capable of the follow through.  

Honored Contributor

@pommomThe scammers don't need their responders to be MOST Medicare recipients.  Just think how very many people are on Medicare and imagine getting a few "free" dollars from even half of !% of them.   What's sad is that so many of those people live an isolated existence and just don't think SCAM immediately.  I can almost imagine someone who's been on Medicare for about 20 years looking at their card and thinking it's time to get a spanking new card.  What a perfect target for this scam!

Honored Contributor

We stopped my mother from access to her checking account ,and the bank refunded her check, as soon as we became aware of this

You don't always know this is happening, in the earlier stages of the disease

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

@RetRNwrote:

People who have issues like that wouldn't understand any warnings about a alleged scam like that.  And they shouldn't be in control of or have access to their hospital cards, insurance cards or credit cards.  I don't this scam really exists but if it does, only someone with extreme cognitive impairment would fall for it and it's doubtful that such a person would be capable of the follow through.  

Untrue.  There are medications that can cause certain behaviors in an otherwise reasonable individual.  And there are different degrees of cognitive impairment.