Honored Contributor

I've been going through medicare hell.  Yes, there is such a place as far as I'm concerned!

So a week ago (after constantly getting asked by Drs for my NEW card) I decided to call Medicare to find out where mine was.  

I texted my insurance agent and he said all of the cards had been sent out in Va.  Hummm??? Interesting.  He texted me the phone number to call, so I did.

I found out that my card had never been sent....I was 'skipped' over.  So, she took all of my information (to verify I was the right person).  Then she said she would 'expedite' it.....

Well, today while in my car on my way to lunch it rings through from my cell phone.  It was an 800 number and she talked like she knew what she was talking about.  She said she didn't have all of the information and bla bla.  Normally I NEVER give out any information.  I'm so paranoid, you have no idea.

But I was in my car and the new looked familiar to one I'd called (Medicare).  

Then while eating with my friend she said, "They never call you, this is fake" (I'll address that in a few minutes).

So, after we ate I sat in my car and called the Medicare people AGAIN.  She once again took down the information and said nothing had been done about it and I'd get my card within maybe 4 weeks.  She advised me to call the FCC and report the bogus call.

So, I called the FCC (please note this was the second time I'd called them in less than a week to report a bogus 800 number).

I said, (this is almost quotes word for word), me:  "You're probably going to think I'm crazy but I swear I think my phone(s) have been hacked".  She said, "No mam I don't.  It's a real possibility".

I went by my banks and talked to them and they said not to worry and put notes on everything.

My daughters called my other investments and notified them.  Tomorrow I will call the credit companies.  I don't own any credit cards so that's not a problem and if my or my late husband's SSN is used anywhere a flag will go up.

Now here's something else that's interesting.  While you never hear the government or social security or medicare will ever call you....that's not true.

I was told that I would get a call from someone from Medicare and they asked me what time I wanted them to call me (gave me a range) and bla bla.

I've spoken to a few people and I've met 2 other people who told me they received calls from social security, one from medicare.  So it does happen.

So this is interesting.  I STILL have no idea if I'm ever going to this new card.  This is absolutely crazy.

So people who are so anxious to get the government to take over more of our lives....think carefully about that because as my grandma used to say, "The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing".

Yes, the phone numbers I've been calling are the correct numbers, I thought about that.

Oh!  I almost forgot I looked at my phone where it says recent calls and the number called me was actually the medicare number.  Now figure that one out.

I have to wonder if they've hacked medicare or something.  I have no idea but the whole thing is crazy!

Respected Contributor

Re: New Medicare Cards!

[ Edited ]

I'm nowhere near eligible for Medicare and have gotten a similar call. I think you were merely scammed by someone using a robo dialer and the rest is just coincedence. They're just fishing for that 1 out of 1000 people that will fall for it and give out their personal info. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Why are your doctors in such a fuss over not having the new card?   He obviously knows you and your age and knows you qualify.  Old card works just like the new one - one minor change - a new digit number instead of your social security #.  What's the problem?

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 reminds me of the infamous 9 most terrifying words in the English language "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know where you live but is there a local office there for Medicare. I seem to remember a few years back we went to check on some benefits and we took our turn in line to actually talk to someone.  I am not in a big city (in Maryland) so if we have it you might also.  

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Why are your doctors in such a fuss over not having the new card?   He obviously knows you and your age and knows you qualify.  Old card works just like the new one - one minor change - a new digit number instead of your social security #.  What's the problem?

I was wondering the same thing.

Honored Contributor

The Dr's aren't in a 'fuss' over it.  They just ask me if I've received the new card yet.  As it happens one particular Dr I go to every 3 weeks.

Most of the other Drs (as with many people) I only go every few months.

Most of the staffs in Drs offices have a pretty good general idea on when most of the cards have been mailed out.

THAT'S probably why they ask when I see them.  

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Not clear to me why you think "they" can get into your bank or investment accounts.  Or why your insurance agent was asked for anything.  For the future for most things Medicare, or any other government agency related just go to their websites.  How would they have gotten your cell phone anyway?  Did you give it to them??  Just stop talking to anyone on the,phone that you do not know.  

Honored Contributor

"they" would be whomever (if it was illegal) called me asking for my information for a nefarious reason.

Did you not read what I posted?  It's easy to get people's cell phone number.  Are you kidding me?

Are you telling me you've never had a bogus call on your cell phone?  If not, well that's great because I have many times.  Most of the people I know have gotten bogus calls.

I'm not QUITE that stupid to give out my cell phone other than to people I want to get it.

Look, do you not know that for $9.99 I can find out all kinds of things about you.  If I wanted to add more money to that $9.99 I could really delve into your life.

That's the world we live in these days!
Honored Contributor

I have no robo call on my cell phone and all unwanted calls go into outer space

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.