Esteemed Contributor

BC/BS sent us a letter saying the new Medicare cards are paper still. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

On the SS website it says new cards are paper but a bit smaller (thank you).  I thought I saw that you can laminate but can't find it now.  If you don't have your new card, your medical provider can get it from a database.  They are sending them out randomly but by states (I'm in Arizona and we don't get ours until after June this year).

Respected Contributor

@SharkEwrote:

@Shawniewrote:

I laminated mine, problem solved.

No, that's not allowed. You'll find that out .

Been using mine for two years no problem.

Respected Contributor

LOL!  WTH?

Havent seen my social security card in 5 million years and never been asked for it, just my number.  But OMG I do know if I ever find it I should absolutely not on any account laminate it!!😛

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doowrote:

@Shawniewrote:

I laminated mine, problem solved.

SS cards are not supposed to be laminated.  It can void the security features built into the card.  When I was working in HR and people presented their SS card for identification, it was considered void if laminated.  Look at the back of your card, some of them tell you not to laminate.  You can put the card in a plastic sheet to protect it, but no lamination.

Medicare - not SS cards.

Honored Contributor

I've had my laminated medicare card for 11 years - no problem as yet.

Honored Contributor

You only use your Medicare Card if you have only Medicare.

You do not show your Medicare Card if you have an Advantage Plan, e.g.

So laminate or don't laminate-you won't be using it anyway unless Medicare is your only source of insurance.

LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3:  I was asked for my Medicare card today and I do have an advantage plan (I have been asked for it about four times this year).

Honored Contributor

@patbzwrote:

@Cakers3:  I was asked for my Medicare card today and I do have an advantage plan (I have been asked for it about four times this year).

@patbz  Interesting.  We have an advantage plan too but only had to show our driver's license (not at our PCP since they've known us for years) at other locations to make sure we were who we said we were.

The point is that you don't HAVE to show the Medicare card unless that is all you have.

Whether you are asked for it when you have other insurance is up to that provider, I guess.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Medicare Cards

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3wrote:

@patbzwrote:

@patbz  Interesting.  We have an advantage plan too but only had to show our driver's license (not at our PCP since they've known us for years) at other locations to make sure we were who we said we were.

The point is that you don't HAVE to show the Medicare card unless that is all you have.

Whether you are asked for it when you have other insurance is up to that provider, I guess.

@Cakers3

Im not sure what you mean. I have Medicare with Blue Cross as my Supplemental, and always have to show both cards. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett