Respected Contributor

Re: New Masterpiece Theatre Series

After reading a little about the series, it sounded sort of like The Jewel in the Crown series that ran in the 80s.  I didn't like that one so didn't bother with this one & from some of the comments here, I was right.  I watched the 2-hour CSI which I really enjoyed.  I sure wish Masterpiece would air A Town Like Alice again.  I suppose if I were a wealthy patron, I could underwrite that, but, alas, I'm not financially rich.

Honored Contributor

I forced myself to watch it.  imo one of the main problems is the characters are not likable so far.  It's also hard to follow the story line, it jumps from one small segment to the next. 

The best part was that I went to bed and dreamed of being in 1932 India  with an even better storyline Woman LOL

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

My first husband  grew up in the east side of London - really the slums of London and he had a Cockney accent. Normally I do pretty well deciphering it but I could not understand what they were saying on this show last night. 

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I forced myself to watch it.  imo one of the main problems is the characters are not likable so far.  It's also hard to follow the story line, it jumps from one small segment to the next. 

The best part was that I went to bed and dreamed of being in 1932 India  with an even better storyline Woman LOL

I always read a recap/synopsis for an episode or series I've had difficulty following. Between the accents and situations such as you describe above, it's easy to miss the details (major and minor!) in some of these British productions.

Honored Contributor

People had the same complaint about Wolf Hall (as well as it being too dark and unable to see who was speaking).

I was watching in HD so perhaps it was clearer in HD.

I enjoyed it.

The Crimson Field and Wolf Hall were much more gorey than this.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

I always read a recap/synopsis for an episode or series I've had difficulty following. Between the accents and situations such as you describe above, it's easy to miss the details (major and minor!) in some of these British productions.

jonbon, what a good idea!  Where are you finding a recap for this one?  Somewhere on PBS?

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

jonbon, what a good idea!  Where are you finding a recap for this one?  Somewhere on PBS?

Yes, there is a synopsis on the PBS website, along with lots of other interesting information about the series (historical info about the Raj, character info, previews, etc.):

Episode Synopsis

There are also lots of recaps/reviews available on other sites. As I said, for certain series, I find this VERY helpful!

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Yes, there is a synopsis on the PBS website, along with lots of other interesting information about the series (historical info about the Raj, character info, previews, etc.):

Episode Synopsis

There are also lots of recaps/reviews available on other sites. As I said, for certain series, I find this VERY helpful!

THANK YOU, so much!

And I appreciate that you took the time and effort of providing a link Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Episode Synopsis

THANK YOU, so much!

And I appreciate that you took the time and effort of providing a link Smiley Happy

You're welcome (I had looked at it fairly recently, so it was much easier for me to find it again than for you to have to go searching around for it).

Honored Contributor

I recorded it but haven't had time to watch it yet.