Valued Contributor

Re: New Mask Thread....warning if mask threads upset you😷

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@germanshepherdlove 

Regarding who is unmasked vs. masked in terms of delivery people, it depends a lot on what the Governor has mandated or put into place. If the Governor insists all shall be masked via an Executive Order, that is the law of the state for the time being, until rescinded.

@JustJazzmom about that.  We are mandated now yet they still go unmasked.  Apparently that type of business was forgotten by our illustrious leader and because it was never mentioned, those companies say their employees only have to wear one on a voluntary basis.  A lot of restaurants are now complaining because even tho they are open, many patrons prefer not going in person and continuing the home delivery.  Because they are now open that is why suddenly this is being brought up locally....they are brazenly walking inside these restaurants where employees are masked and they are freaking out.  Hopefully, this will end.  But I get what you mean. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nancy Drew  ... Sealioning or Sea lioning:  Type of trolling or harassment which consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeatedly questioning

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Marp   Yes I have heard Dr. Fauci and at least one other medical expert recently admit they told the public at the beginning that masks weren't necessary for the general public *because* they were needed for the front line workers.  And I give them a pass for doing that!  Can you imagine what would have surely happened had they told the public at the very beginning that you need to wear a mask?  The healthcare and other front line workers would not have had the equipment to take care of all of us!  They were the priority at that time.. And rightly so.  We can all be sure after this experience, this country will have enough PPE for everyone should this happen again.

@Deree I wish they could have just said that professional masks would not be available to the general public because healthcare workers had a priority. Then I wish they had gone on to say to wear a homemade mask or a disposeable mask that wasn't for professional wear from the beginning. Instead, they didn't trust the public to not wipe out all the pro PPE and they endangered the lives of millions of people by making such a poor decision. At least Dr. Fauci is owning up to this tremendous oversight, but the cost has been very high. 

@Mindy D   Tell people they need to wear a homemade mask because we are in a pandemic and they will go out and hoard the BEST masks they can find.  Guarantee it. In fact there was an almost immediate shortage of N95's because the general public was hoarding them.

Do you see what happened with toilet paper?  That's what people do and that's exactly what would have happened with masks -- pro and otherwise. 

@Deree @Of course there would have been hoarding. I'm not naive and neither are the epidimiologists and public health officials.  There was hoarding as soon as they said to go ahead and wear a mask, but at least those members of the public that had access to a mask might have saved themself from illness. 

@Mindy D  I started wearing a mask in early March.  After listening to the news no one needed to tell me to take precautions.

Second week in March I had an appointment with a new Functional Medicine Doctor within 1/2 mile from where I live. I called her to cancel my appointment because I was concerned about the virus.  She works in an office building, not even a medical facility or hospital but I was still concerned.  Just a few days later she sent emails to all her patients (to me as well) announcing that she would only be doing virtual appointments with existing patients.

My point is people need to use common sense and they need to think for themselves and be proactive and they need not to blame everyone else for not telling them what to do.  The virus hit my city hard and that spurred me into action.  One would expect by now that every person in this country should be spurred into action.  No excuses.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

I wish I could give this 100 likes.  Fear vs Facts.  Fact is vast majority of the ones that die are in the 65 or older crowd. Most have underlying conditions. They should take precautions.  Kids do not seem to get it. That is a known fact.   It is still rare that a child get it.  To those saying "if we had all worn masks in the beginning this thing would be gone" uh no it wouldn't.  Reason because at least 85% if not even more of all mask wearers are wearing them wrong. They fail to clean them regularly, have them half on half off, don't cover their nose, touch them frequently and more.  There is no "standard" mask.  There are so many different versions, materials, etc and most aren't that effective. And again back to the not wearing and taking care of it properly.  . 

And with Walmart mandating mask wearing, you will see more assaults.  I understand people get upset when they see someone without a mask but for cryin out loud just leave these people alone. Going all rambo on them is just dumb.  You are not going to change their minds period.  If you are that afraid of the maskless please remember just because you are wearing a mask doesn't mean you are not spreading it.  Please note the majority of the mask wearers don't wear them right and are doing no good by having them on.  If anything they are spreading it by touching their moist masks that have their infected breath drops on it and touching other things.  So the people that feel they need to "correct" the maskless  need to take into account the masked people around you that are just as likely to be infectious since they are using dirty masks.  i'm sure there are vigilant mask wearers but the ones that put one on to go in and out of a store-probably not so much.  Notice there isn't much out there on "mask sanitation"?  They talk about hand sanitizers, washing hands, not touching your face, but not so much about mask sanitation.  Just recommending wearing one. Just some thoughts.     

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

I wish I could give this 100 likes.  Fear vs Facts.  Fact is vast majority of the ones that die are in the 65 or older crowd. Most have underlying conditions. They should take precautions.  Kids do not seem to get it. That is a known fact.   It is still rare that a child get it.  To those saying "if we had all worn masks in the beginning this thing would be gone" uh no it wouldn't.  Reason because at least 85% if not even more of all mask wearers are wearing them wrong. They fail to clean them regularly, have them half on half off, don't cover their nose, touch them frequently and more.  There is no "standard" mask.  There are so many different versions, materials, etc and most aren't that effective. And again back to the not wearing and taking care of it properly.  . 

And with Walmart mandating mask wearing, you will see more assaults.  I understand people get upset when they see someone without a mask but for cryin out loud just leave these people alone. Going all rambo on them is just dumb.  You are not going to change their minds period.  If you are that afraid of the maskless please remember just because you are wearing a mask doesn't mean you are not spreading it.  Please note the majority of the mask wearers don't wear them right and are doing no good by having them on.  If anything they are spreading it by touching their moist masks that have their infected breath drops on it and touching other things.  So the people that feel they need to "correct" the maskless  need to take into account the masked people around you that are just as likely to be infectious since they are using dirty masks.  i'm sure there are vigilant mask wearers but the ones that put one on to go in and out of a store-probably not so much.  Notice there isn't much out there on "mask sanitation"?  They talk about hand sanitizers, washing hands, not touching your face, but not so much about mask sanitation.  Just recommending wearing one. Just some thoughts.     

That's a lot of words. So do you wear one or not?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I am not sure what anyone else saw in the beginning but the Dr. Ozs and Jennifer Ashtons did complete segments on why masks not only didn't help but could actually make you sicker by holding fluids and germs close to your face.  Don't wear them.

The masks the general public is primarily wearing then and now are not what the medical personnel needed or use so the whole shortage theory is nonsense to me.

They made a mistake based on the information they had at the time.  At some point, people like me become fatigued, tune it out, and as you can see, it takes some time to tune back in again especially when no one has the decency to say hey, we were wrong. New guidelines here.

And Dr. Drew talked about how this was just panic brought on by the media that there wouldn't be a problem.  It was just the media.

I have posted multiple times if you want information, just because someone has md behind their name doesn't mean you rely on what they say.  If I want information about a neuroblastoma, I am not going to listen to what a podiatrist has to say.  

And think about his.  Surgeons, scrub techs, nurses all wear masks for very long extended periods of time.   Scrub techs and surgical nurses never get a break really.   Some of those OR cases can go for 8 hours straight.  But even with shorter cases, they can drop the mask for a minute or 2 after a patient leaves their OR room, but the mask goes right back up to get ready for the next case, which believe me....they are rolling in the door before you are ready.

So if that were true....you would have sick surgeons, surgical techs, and nurses all of the time.  It just doesn't make logical sense.

Said the same thing when I read that wearing a mask would drop your oxygen concentration to dangerously low levels.  Couldn't help but respond that if that were true we would have a lot of dead surgeons, doctors, and nurses.  Or at least they would be fainting due to low oxygen. 

What do people think the nurses or doctors do that are working in covid ICUs?  

There can be something to say that wearing masks for long periods of time can cause local irritation or break outs on the face.  Nurses and doctors are very familiar with those issues.  

No kidding!!! I wear a mask for 8-10 hours a day sometimes and have for many years. I have never had low blood oxygen or high blood carbon dioxide, nor have I ever fainted. I cannot fathom how some people believe you can get sick from wearing a mask. 

Valued Contributor

In 2001, on the news we were told that some awful people would send us an envelope full of anthrax and because we didn't want to die from that we promptly jumped on amazon and ordered a tall box of N95 masks which cost back then about $20. 

I don't recall anyone telling the public then not to or that it would  create a shortage.  Maybe that's why we have a shortage now? Haha, I doubt it because many people bought it back then. The news said the anthrax was being sent through the mail...was that fake news....well we were not taking any chances of dying from anthrax and still have that box of N95 masks.  Never received our envelope filled with anthrax. 

Come to think of it I think we got a perscription of Cipro for each of us too.   I bet it's still in our cupboard.   

Frequent Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@pitdakota I would agree with you almost every time on this but no one is an expert on a novel virus and she wasn't reporting on virus.  She was reporting on mask wearing.  I understand specialties but I also expect an MD to have a general knowledge base that I can trust on general health matters like what a face covering can and cannot do.  

I think all of our posts are proving my original point.  When you have both sides of the mouth talking with mixed messages, people tune out.  I did because who does a lay person like me know what to believe?  

I don't have time for it with a full time job, burying relatives, and supporting elder family members.  The media needs to get their act together and report more responsibly.  

I won't hold my breath on the media reporting responsibly. All they care about it stirring up emotions to boost ratings. 

While boosting ratings is important, the many people I know very well in the media care way more about reporting facts than getting emotions riled up. 

Frequent Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Marp   Yes I have heard Dr. Fauci and at least one other medical expert recently admit they told the public at the beginning that masks weren't necessary for the general public *because* they were needed for the front line workers.  And I give them a pass for doing that!  Can you imagine what would have surely happened had they told the public at the very beginning that you need to wear a mask?  The healthcare and other front line workers would not have had the equipment to take care of all of us!  They were the priority at that time.. And rightly so.  We can all be sure after this experience, this country will have enough PPE for everyone should this happen again.

@Deree I wish they could have just said that professional masks would not be available to the general public because healthcare workers had a priority. Then I wish they had gone on to say to wear a homemade mask or a disposeable mask that wasn't for professional wear from the beginning. Instead, they didn't trust the public to not wipe out all the pro PPE and they endangered the lives of millions of people by making such a poor decision. At least Dr. Fauci is owning up to this tremendous oversight, but the cost has been very high. 

I wish they had said that, too...but do YOU trust the public not to wipe out the professional wear? ;-) *I* don't, especially seeing all the terrible acts of selfishness lately.

Honored Contributor

The whole 'denying science' mantra is not only stale it's not really accurate. 'Science' didn't initially embrace mask wearing. It took them several months of waffling to decide it's ostensibly, as of now anyway, imperative... Is it any wonder segments of the public didn't immediately fall in line...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...