Honored Contributor

Re: New Life for Dying Malls

I think it's adorable and I'd live someplace this small in a heartbeat since I'm little too. 

An active mall gives me pause though.  I don't think I'd have enough vacation days to escape Black Friday through New Years.  

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

You know what I always thought would be a cool place to live?

I would love to convert an old church and turn it in to a home.

Speaking of cool, I’ve seen old schools turned into condos, complete with the chalkboards.

Respected Contributor

I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's only me, and I hate to clean so having a tinier space means less housework. And if other businesses and restauarants were nearby, it would be very covenient. 

I've also seen malls being repurposed into medical offices, colleges, trade schools, and general office complexes. I think it's a great idea, instead of letting all that space go to waste, keeping it abandoned and vulnerable to vandals. 

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

These would be perfect in the DC area for recent college grads.  Living is so expensive here.  

If you've ever stayed in a Microtel, they look the same as this.K,

Love Microtel.

@VaBelle35Absolutely.  Been in the burbs of DC for over 45 years.  Every time I watch House Hunters I see ppl in other states looking for/wanting homes for $150K or homes under $200K, I think about around here.  

This is my third home (and to be able to afford I've always been at least 30 miles south, now closer to 50), if you find a home for under $300K, it's oftentimes extremely small or in a area I'd be afraid to live!

@Financialgrl  I couldn't afford to buy my own house now. 

So I'm stuck here until I retire more south ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Visitor

Not sure I'd go for the tiny loft but if they were larger, I just might do it. 

As a retiree, it would be ideal.....like a small indoor community and may 

just be the revival of meeting your neighbors at the corner market,

butcher, etc. like it used to be 50 years ago.....small suburban neighborhoods.

Esteemed Contributor

I hate to think malls are going the way of the dinosaur.  Our postal rates will be unaffordable if we're left with just online shopping.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

You know what I always thought would be a cool place to live?

I would love to convert an old church and turn it in to a home.

Speaking of cool, I’ve seen old schools turned into condos, complete with the chalkboards.

We have a small Evangellical Protestant Latin American church near by and it was originally a private house.  They painted the door red.

Honored Contributor

Looks like something they would do in Tokyo.  Or a very high class prison here.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I hate to think malls are going the way of the dinosaur.  Our postal rates will be unaffordable if we're left with just online shopping.

Where have you been?  Malls are dying off all over the country.  They are dead now, some of them just don't know it yet.

Honored Contributor

Victoria in TN:   Yes!  Just now thought about senior mini-micro-apartments above grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.  Elevator access.  Would be a good thing for many seniors.   Each apt. could be sound-proofed.   And, actually, maybe one of the supermarkets or pharmacies could have one of those Doctor/NP/clinics, covered by Medicare and supplemental insurance, or whatever is available at that time.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).