Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Life for Dying Malls

You know what I always thought would be a cool place to live?

I would love to convert an old church and turn it in to a home.

Honored Contributor

have read about the old shop malls that are wasting away and have been purchased by these transforming agencies. 

I like. they are like mini apartments . Some people like living in small spaces and easy care for units. 

Am glad that old wasted space is being used.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I've seen a few of them on TV - think it used to be HGTV that had a show "Extreme Homes" which showed ppl that live in repurposed places and have done this, post offices, small school buildings, etc and once saw a guy living in a retired 747 plane, etc.  Some ppl are so imaginative.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2  I've seen 3.  They are very cool.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Sometimes less is more.  Years and years ago, we lived in a  (vacation) studio for a month each year.  Overlooking a hilly golf area and then beautiful blue water beyond.  I loved it.  I loved to vacuum my 'studio' carpetingHeart.  Enjoyed the small kitchen, etc.  Beautiful view.  Yes, I could have permanently lived there, as long as I had access to a large storage unit.  It was 'heavenly'.   The blue skies, the white clouds, the green golf links with slight hills, the blue water beyond............Heart ........Memories...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

These would be perfect in the DC area for recent college grads.  Living is so expensive here.  

If you've ever stayed in a Microtel, they look the same as this.

Love Microtel.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

OMGosh, I just thought of something.  Perfect for college students in some areas such as D.C.   Just think of this:  They could work downstairs from their mall mini-apts.  Work various hours in various stores/establishments right below their apts.   Seems as though it would be a win-win, as long as they aren't 'party-people'.   They could have their parties in a seperate mall recreation/lounge/venue/whatever room or building.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

These would be perfect in the DC area for recent college grads.  Living is so expensive here.  

If you've ever stayed in a Microtel, they look the same as this.K,

Love Microtel.

@VaBelle35Absolutely.  Been in the burbs of DC for over 45 years.  Every time I watch House Hunters I see ppl in other states looking for/wanting homes for $150K or homes under $200K, I think about around here.  

This is my third home (and to be able to afford I've always been at least 30 miles south, now closer to 50), if you find a home for under $300K, it's oftentimes extremely small or in a area I'd be afraid to live!

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would not like to live in a mall apartment. There would be the issue of getting to and from your car which can be dangerous. 

@SilleeMee- there's always valet parking.

I can see young people living here, but not so much the seniors. A Murphy bed?  Young people can pull it down in two seconds. A senior with arthritis, maybe not so easy.

I don't think I'd prefer to live like this, but who knows what our options will be down the road.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

I only read the link and first page of comments.  If 225 sq ft works for someone, great.    My first thoughts were concerns about noise and lack of privacy.   I'm not sure I'd be comfortable leaving my car in a shopping center parking lot, either.