Respected Contributor

Re: New Life for Dying Malls

When I read the title, immediately turning them into condos came into mind.I think transforming old malls into housing is a great idea. It isn't so different from transforming old factories, warehouses, and abandoned shops into lofts and condos. Those currently bring high prices, but I bet there were a few skeptics when the idea was new. I'm not sure why this mall scenario has each one so small though. They could be different sizes and have a variety of amenities. Taller condo buildings in the city often have grocery stores, pharmacies, dry cleaners, food take-out places, coffee shopts, etc. on the first floor. Re-thinking those mall spaces is both creative and a logical next step. As a former buyer, I would see delivery docks beneath malls that perhaps could be remodeled for resident underground parking. Malls could be made into desirable housing. I'm not sure what would happen with the large parking rings around them. Perhaps additional housing buildings and perhaps new technology will play a part.

Honored Contributor

In my area affordable housing is critically low - about non-existent.  I have driven by several empty malls and wished someone would do this!

People who are living 2 or 3 families to one home need help.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would not like to live in a mall apartment. There would be the issue of getting to and from your car which can be dangerous. 

And I bet parking is wicked

Honored Contributor

Seems like security would be a major concern when people are living in close proximity to such a public space.

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I know a ton of young people who would love it. Depends on the price as usual. Kind of reminds of Royal Carribean cruise ship I was on once.

Yep, the rooms overlooking the Promenade.  Never stayed in one bc IIRC it's basically an inside room and the only light is from the window looking down unto the "street" below.  I need a window looking outside, even if it's an obstructed view.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would not like to live in a mall apartment. There would be the issue of getting to and from your car which can be dangerous. 

Agree but hopefully as part of the sale, a parking space would be provided, and one up close to the entrance they'd have to use.  Have signs saying these are reserved for residents and they'd tow you if you didn't have the proper permit.  

Esteemed Contributor

Looks like a good idea to me.....

Honored Contributor

I think I saw somewhere where a university/college took over an abandoned mall, or was planning to take over an abandoned mall. They would use the smaller stores as individual classrooms and the anchor stores as the cafeteria, library, and gymnasium. If you think about it, that makes a lot of sense. Different sized smaller stores for different sized classes.

A big mall could pretty much house an entire university with little trouble. I tried Googling it but couldn't find anything recent, so I'm not sure if that ever happened or not, but it made sense when I heard it and stuck in my mind.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Really not much different than living above retail on a street.  I think it's a great idea.

Super Contributor

I have lived in 3 different repurposed apartments andf they were my favorite apartments.  One was a converted parking garage, one was a  bank and one was a school.   They all had very tall ceilings and 2 were lofts.  I live in house now.  Not nearly so exciting, although it is an old house and the living room has 9' ceilings.