Honored Contributor

Re: New Life for Dying Malls

Looks like something you'd live in in an old-style communist country.  

Old malls should be knocked down and something more modern and useful.  I think some new apartments would be far better than this.  It looks like a crime scene waiting to happen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not like to live in a mall apartment. There would be the issue of getting to and from your car which can be dangerous. 

Honored Contributor

I know of a mall that has apartments adjacent to the stores but they are separate, different elevators and garages

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

I am quite the shopper, so having the opportunity to live in an apartment in a repurposed mall would thrill me. I think this idea is smart. Sign me up!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's a good solution instead of letting malls go abandoned/torn down. It should be rentals, (not that you can own). It would be great it if was affordable housing. (background checks and limit number of people per unit)

So many abandoned malls. (pictures)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/completely-surreal-pictures-of-americas-abandoned-malls?utm_term=.jx...

Honored Contributor

As someone who experienced communal living in the late 60's and early 70's( on a farm though), living in a repurposed mall sounds good to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Just  a couple of weeks ago, I ran across a rumor re: our local mall.  Apts. above the stores.  Well, where space is scarce, I understand that plan.   Reminds me of when most family stores were underneath apartments/flats above.  At the time, it was handy for families.  One spouse would work somewhere else, and the other spouse would 'stay at home', working and minding the store.  A way to 'get ahead'; 'move on up', etc.

I remember that too.  A family friend was a tailor and had his own shop with the apartment upstairs where the family lived.  In Queens, N.Y. and other boroughs as well, many families lived in an apartment above their store.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

They look very tiny, and with that set-up, I think safety is an issue.
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:
They look very tiny, and with that set-up, I think safety is an issue.

I don't mind small living spaces. I would be concerned about the noise factor. Will it sound like a motel?

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Looks like something you'd live in in an old-style communist country.  

Old malls should be knocked down and something more modern and useful.  I think some new apartments would be far better than this.  It looks like a crime scene waiting to happen.

I think that it would be better if something new were built, too.

I noticed in the model of the one small unit that was shown, that there isn't a stove, and that there isn't much storage space, either.

I can appreciate small spaces.

I still think that I'd like to have some space for cooking and to be able to use some small appliances, too.