Respected Contributor

New Kind of Dr's Appt

[ Edited ]

I normally go to the doctor 4 times a year for med refills. You have to go in for a checkup and certain meds. 

I got an email from my Drs office about video conferencing. I called and the clinic is doing video or phone visits for everyone not sick. I was so excited b/c I hate going in anyway. I don't skype so we did a phone visit.

My Dr called right at the appointed time and they got some vitals from me and we talked for a bit. He renewed my refills over the phone. They are able to send meds to the pharmacy now where as before you had to have actual paperwork to take in. 

I had been so worried about going in for my appt later this month and being in close quarters with anyone, its a busy clinic. 

Best appt I ever had! He said hopefully we'll see you in three months for your next appt.

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4    Best part:. NO WEIGH IN!  😁

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I understand the necessity for it with the virus.  No need to take unnecessary risks.  I'm not sure how I like it. 

I think this is the way things are heading in the future.  My employer plan encourages employees to do Skype meetings for illnesses where you would have made a Dr appt or gone to a walk in clinic.  There is a special number to call where there are dedicated Drs and Nurses.  

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I normally go to the doctor 4 times a year for med refills. You have to go in for a checkup and certain meds. 

I got an email from my Drs office about video conferencing. I called and the clinic is doing video or phone visits for everyone not sick. I was so excited b/c I hate going in anyway. I don't skype so we did a phone visit.

My Dr called right at the appointed time and they got some vitals from me and we talked for a bit. He renewed my refills over the phone. They are able to send meds to the pharmacy now where as before you had to have actual paperwork to take in. 

I had been so worried about going in for my appt later this month and being in close quarters with anyone, its a busy clinic. 

Best appt I ever had! He said hopefully we'll see you in three months for your next appt.

@luvmyteddy4   I also have 2 meds that require a "look see". I assume I'm trustworthy enough that the prescription was faxed over to the pharmacy after a 5 minute FaceTime. She usually does a blood test every 3 months to check in, but agreed that unless have virus symptoms, don't come to the office. Bloodwork can wait. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@luvmyteddy4    Best part:. NO WEIGH IN!  😁

@Kachina624   I'd be in deep doo doo. I've lost 5 lbs. that I don't have to lose. 

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 

Interesting ......  I had a MD appt last week, which was a follow up for some tests.

At my Doc's medical group, they have each doc working one day a week.  Leaves the office pretty deserted and only one person in the waiting room at a time.  I think that's the best they can do, and it's a good idea.

Trusted Contributor

Re: New Kind of Dr's Appt

[ Edited ]

As to the importance of not going to medical appointments

A former co-worker called me last night. We had lost touch and I hadn't spoken to her in a long time.  Her husband has been stable with cancer for a few years.  He had an appointment with his oncologist to check up on things.  My friend pleaded with him to cancel but he was obstinate and went.  Turns out his cancer labs were just fine but he wound up with the virus because he went into a medical environment and there were many other people there.

Her husband was one of the lucky ones.  He was in bed at home in a fetal position for 7 days. My friend thought he had the flu.  He got worse and had trouble breathing, went in for testing was positive for covid and was admitted to the hospital.  Thankfully he didn't need to be on a ventilator but was there for 5 days on oxygen then discharged.  This happened mid March and he is still weak though recovering.  My friend has now tested positive but is still asymptomatic.

I cancelled 2 doc appointments.  One was end of February and the other first week in March.  It's not worth it.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.