Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

They are notoriously bad drivers...but I don't hate the state.

ETA... and RUDE!

http://www.trentonian.com/opinion/20150707/jeff-edelstein-most-americans-hate-new-jersey-most-americ...

Hi esme, Smiley Happy

Just wondering how much time  you've spent in Jersey  and where,  to know and post with such a broad brush,  concerning  Jersey residents being  notoriously bad drivers and rude ?   

Maybe, we've met in Jersey and didn't even know it. lol Smiley Happy

Gosh, had I known you spent time here or lived here, I would have waved to you from the porch and invited you in. Smiley Happy 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Contributor

I was born and raised in N.J.  My HS (Columbia in So. Orange & Maplewood) was ranked 3 in the nation when I attended it.. In the 50's only 10 % of females went to college, but at Columbia we all did! So much for dumb NJerseyites.

I have lived in  NJ, PA, NYC, Boston (husband went to graduate school there and taught in MA.), Austin TX, San Diego and San Jose CA.  M parents retired to FL when I was in college and my late husband came from Baltimore so I know a bit abt. MD. & FL too.  TX and CA are my least favorite states - just my opinion.  

TX because they are still figting the Civil War and they hate Northeners and CA. because they are just plain arrogant. (I interview high school seniors applying to my alma mater  Admissions does not interview them - alums do -  and you cannot believe how rude and arrogant these kids are during the interview - they are trying to get into my alma mater so are supposedly on their best (?)  behavior.)  But of course these statements are generalizations so not worth much.

Trusted Contributor

I too get annoyed at the perceptions people have of New Jersey. I'm born and raised in central New Jersey, although I am now slightly south Jersey. I will say I'm more comfortable central and south as I'm not much of a city girl and don't like congestion. I actually live in a pretty rural part of the state now and love it here. People seem to fly into Newark Airport and think that's what we're about. Jersey Shore did us no favors either and those people aren't even from NJ from the most part. I have step daughters who were born here but grew up out west. Two of them have spouses who assume it is so gross here that they refuse to consider a visit here. Ridiculous. We have so much to offer here. The weather is decent with  4 seasons (mostly). It's humid but it's not Florida-no offense to Florida. We have great access to New York and New England and Philadelphia and points south. We have our beaches-I grew up going to Wildwood and still like it there. It's not the Carribean but it's ours. Our education system is good. There is diversity. So much more, but you get my drift. We may have to move soon as my dh just got a new job and it's too far to commute from here forever and don't think we can afford much of house in Hunterdon county or thereabouts. I'm checking out the Pa side. I've always liked Pa too. Then Pennyslvania can complain about more Jersey people infiltrating. For the record I hate to say I'm from "Jersey". Hate it. I always say New Jersey, just a thing for me. Off my soapbox nowSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

When my grandparents took the boat from Italy, they landed in New Jersey.   It's where my mom grew up, and I was born there and spent every summer from age 5 to 18 there with my grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins.  I have great memories of days at the lake, the carnival at the Catholic church each summer, the county fair, going to the shore to spend time with my aunt, going into the city to see a matinee show with friends when I was older.  I remember those times with tears in my eyes sometimes.  NJ is a great state and I'm always proud to say I was born there.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

ETA... and RUDE!

http://www.trentonian.com/opinion/20150707/jeff-edelstein-most-americans-hate-new-jersey-most-americ...

Hi esme, Smiley Happy

Just wondering how much time  you've spent in Jersey  and where,  to know and post with such a broad brush,  concerning  Jersey residents being  notoriously bad drivers and rude ?   

Gosh, had I known you spent time here or lived here, I would have waved to you from the porch and invited you in. Smiley Happy 

I've seen bad Jersey drivers in MD and VA.  I've never driven in Jersey.

Re: rude...the columnist who was defending the state.  HE is rude.  I'm guessing he's from Jersey.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Thought you had a better sense of humor, JSS.  ;-) 

Most of us Jersey babes let that kind of stuff roll right off our back.  sunglasses.gif (19×19)

b041248ee97aefd5632a9ed1ffb6ce20.jpg (150×150)

Honored Contributor

My family lived in NJ when I was in my early teens- 7th, 8th and 9th grade.

We lived in Madison.  I LOVED it there.  Loved our town.  It was one mile to the train station, easy trip to NYC where my dad worked, great downtown area.  We just really loved it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Hi Gidget,

I love Madison as well Smiley Happy My SIL's  family is from there such a beautiful town. I live near Madison and find myself there quite often.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

ETA... and RUDE!

Hi esme, Smiley Happy

I've seen bad Jersey drivers in MD and VA.  I've never driven in Jersey.

Re: rude...the columnist who was defending the state.  HE is rude.  I'm guessing he's from Jersey.

Ahh, well that explains everything. After those experiences,  of course you would  feel comfortable and justified about  making such statements about an entire state's drivers.

Now that I think about it, I saw some bad drivers, on Rte 80 yesterday, from PA and NY.  Are you thinking what I'm thinking..........???????

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

Today being a special day here in NYC I would like to add the envyWoman Very Happy could also come from the fact that  4 of the 5 goals scored the other night came from Carli Lloyd and Tobin Heath! Two awesome girls from the Garden State.