Honored Contributor

👍🏿 New Jersey's #77 law revamped 👍🏿

FULL ARTICLE LINK

Attorney General, Division of Highway Traffic Safety Introduce New Initiative to Combat Distracted Driving
Rebranding of State’s #77 Program Will Allow Motorists to Report Dangerous Driving New Warning Letter to Motorists Will Be One of the First in Nation

spacer
spacerspacerspacer
spacer
#77 Dangerous Driver Campaign
spacer

spacerspacer

spacerspacerspacer
spacer
WEST TRENTON – Responding to an 8 percent spike in New Jersey traffic fatalities in 2016, largely attributable to the increasing scourge of distracted driving, Attorney General Christopher S. Porrino and the Division of Highway Traffic Safety are announcing a new initiative to provide state residents with a method to report dangerous drivers in order to protect motorists and pedestrians.

The state’s #77 alert system, previously used for reporting aggressive driving, will now be used to report all forms of dangerous driving, from those operating a vehicle while looking at a cell phone  to those driving while impaired. Enforcement measures are being stepped up on the road, and in an initiative believed to be one of the first of its kind in the nation, warning letters will be directed to those spotted driving while distracted on New Jersey roadways.

The local tv news also mentioned that it would be helpful when you call to please mention the make & model as well as the licence # of the car you are reporting on.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 👍🏿 New Jersey's #77 law revamped 👍🏿

[ Edited ]

That sounds good but I hope those reporting pull off the road while using their phone to report, otherwise it just perpetuates and encourages the problem.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

There isn't enough paper in the world to send letters to all the bad (mostly drunk) drivers in Wisconsin!

Honored Contributor

I live in a county w/loads of malls & strip malls.  People driving around those huge parking lots all the while talking on a phone is very problematic.  This law will work for me in those cases.  I always carry a pencel & pad in my pocket book.

Honored Contributor

NJ is a graet test state to start this, You literally take your life in your hands while friving there. I have hands free dialing in my car so it wouldn't be a problem calling this service.

Some of the worst roads in the state are:

TheTurrnpike

Interstate 80

Route 22

Route 287

Route 9

Polaski Skyway

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

the worst roads in my town are....

Route 70 a/k/a as Death Row

Route 73

All circles (how you can manuver a circle while on the phone is beyond me!) Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

We've had a similar law for years, mostly for reporting drunk drivers, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on anyone driving erratically.  There have been successes but oft times the troopers can't find the car or there's no trooper in the area.   Ours is #DUI. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I hope this works in NJ because Massachusetts should be next.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Great idea!  Makes the law-abiding motorist feel like they can do at least something about dangerous driving.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

NJ has more cars per square mile than any other state, so anything that helps save human and beastie lives and injuries is certainly worth a shot.