Respected Contributor

Re: New Jersey mother arrested for leaving child in a hot car...

OK, I am going something I never usually do. "How can she be so stupid?" You can't leave children in a vehicle just because they are sleeping. The heat is just one of the major issues, what about child abduction? There are 19-20 states that have laws enacted regarding leaving children (and in some states pets) unattended in vehicles. What's wrong with the other 25. Its not rocket science.
Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday on the Weather Channel they said an average of 34 children die each year being left in a hot car.  There have been 17 so far this year.  ( think I am remembering these stats correctly?)

Can not fathom the mind set of a person that would or could do this to their child or their pet. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

The TV report I saw said yes, other people saw it and responded.  I was doing something at the time it came on, so I didn't get the details, but I think they broke a window and called 911.

The child was soaking wet, sweat I guess, and the people around her car attacked her verbally, which of course she deserved. 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:
OK, I am going something I never usually do. "How can she be so stupid?" You can't leave children in a vehicle just because they are sleeping. The heat is just one of the major issues, what about child abduction? There are 19-20 states that have laws enacted regarding leaving children (and in some states pets) unattended in vehicles. What's wrong with the other 25. Its not rocket science.

It seems to me there are a lot of people in this country who just don't pay attention to much of anything.  That, and they don't think of consequences.  If A, then B.  If you lock a child in a car on a hot day, then he will eventually die.

Trusted Contributor

Stupid and uncaring. I'll bet she did this before and never got caught. I say put mom in car on a hot day see how she feels. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe I don't understand enough, since I (thankfully) never had kids, but I have never been able to put this 'leaving the kid in the car' thing together.  

I can see forgetting your phone or - oh wait, nobody does that.  Smiley Wink  

But to forget your whole kid - maybe if you had a whole slew of them but it seems like 99% of these incidents have situations where only one kid is involved.

But then, I used to have dreams that I had a kid and I kept forgetting where I put him.  oops!  *embarrassed*  (I only make light of THAT because that kid doesn't actually exist)    Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I was left many times in a hot car as a child while my parents shopped. I could have died. This news story is a wake up to parents. No child should be left in a car.

I was at the bank yesterday and a mother left her car running with the ac on with 4 small child in the car. The doors were unlocked! The security guard asked who's car that is to all of us in the bank and she came forward. He told her the doors are unlocked and anyone could have driven away with them. She actually said they can have them and proceeded to laugh. I was so upset and they called the police to come but she left then and drove off without getting her banking done. 

Honored Contributor

I read the article in the Daily Mail, it was a girl child left in the hot car.  The police were notified and they got the child out by breaking a window.

The child was taken to the hospital and later released to her father.

Respected Contributor

There is a web site entitled KidsAndCars.org that outlines each state's laws regarding leaving children in cars.
Respected Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

I was left many times in a hot car as a child while my parents shopped. I could have died. This news story is a wake up to parents. No child should be left in a car.

I was at the bank yesterday and a mother left her car running with the ac on with 4 small child in the car. The doors were unlocked! The security guard asked who's car that is to all of us in the bank and she came forward. He told her the doors are unlocked and anyone could have driven away with them. She actually said they can have them and proceeded to laugh. I was so upset and they called the police to come but she left then and drove off without getting her banking done. 

Its too bad they didn't get her license plate number. What a jerk she is.