Honored Contributor

New Jersey mother arrested for leaving child in a hot car...

[ Edited ]

1st, let me say, I don't remember hearing stories like this years ago, but it seems to still be happening so frequently now.

After watching the news on this story, it shows the mother pushing her grocery cart with her other child...SERIOUSLY??? Did she really forget she gave birth twice?

The police officer says to the mother "your child could have died" and the mother just kept saying "sorry, sorry"...

My brain just cannot process the logic of bringing one child and not the other...

I'm flabbergasted...

Honored Contributor

Re: New Jersey mother arrested for leaving daughter in a hot car...

happened at the Costco I go to.

I think people are more aware of this now and can call for help instantly and it is publicized more.

25+ years ago things like this were "none of my business"

How do you pick which kid goes in the store with you and which stays in the car? Talk about a Sophies Choice situation, s----w up your kids

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

happened at the Costco I go to.

I think people are more aware of this now and can call for help instantly and it is publicized more.

25+ years ago things like this were "none of my business"

How do you pick which kid goes in the store with you and which stays in the car? Talk about a Sophies Choice situation, s----w up your kids

@jackthebear All great points!

I just hope the mother wasn't giving the other child a 'time out'...just a thought that crossed my mind.

Looks like mommy dearest is currently getting a longer 'time out' for her bad behavior...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update:  It was later reported the child was a boy.

By all visual indications, the mother purposefully left the boy in the car.   I'm sure Costco has video of the parking lot...HOEPFULLY showing the mother cracking the window & acknowledging the boy before leaving.

That kind of evidence will help prosecutors make this an iron-clad case.   Thank goodness it was an overcast day.  Poor little guy...

@Susan Louise Displinary action was what I was thinking, as well.  The parking lot security video might reveal her actions indicating that before leaving the vehicle.

I was surprised the EMT's weren't on the scene...lots of LEOs, but no one to access the health of the child. 

Honored Contributor

The news also said other people were shopping with the mother in Costco, so NO ONE said anything about the child in the car???!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Update:  It was later reported the child was a boy.

By all visual indications, the mother purposefully left the boy in the car.   I'm sure Costco has video of the parking lot...HOEPFULLY showing the mother cracking the window & acknowledging the boy before leaving.

That kind of evidence will help prosecutors make this an iron-clad case.   Thank goodness it was an overcast day.  Poor little guy...

@Susan Louise Displinary action was what I was thinking, as well.  The parking lot security video might reveal her actions indicating that before leaving the vehicle.

@sidsmom TY for the update! I changed my OP/title to the thread.

And boy, wouldn't that be the linchpin that seals her fate!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Jersey mother arrested for leaving child in a hot car...

More than once I've contacted store securty  when I've seen kids left in cars. AND waited until they called the police! If the window is cracked open- that doesn't matter. It  might not be as deadly a situation, but it's still  abandonment. 

Honored Contributor

This just makes me so angry.

People need to be vigilent in parking lots.  If they notice a child or a pet in a car, they need to alert the authorities.

Respected Contributor

The news reported that the mother left him in the car because "he was sleeping".   Well that's a good reason to risk his life.  SMH.

With all the reports and warnings about hot cars...because you are right Susan Louise...this seems to be on the news at least a couple of times a week whether it's children or animals...you would THINK even if people do not have the intelligence to realize the hazard that they would hear about these things on the news.  

Trusted Contributor

Women like her shouldn't have children. What an idiot.